sj 410 new springs needed, opinions welcome

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: sj 410 new springs needed, opinions welcome

Post by Edweird » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:34 pm

turbo-tom wrote:Edweird got a set of 410 springs for his truck a few months back im sure he can tell you where he got them from. There is loads of places to get them.

Dont worry about all the questions mate we have all been in the same boat as you before! ;)
Well, if you don't mind taking the advice of a terrible, awful, criminal type; I got my springs from this website: http://www.japanese4x4spares.co.uk/suz-sj1.html

Cheerful bunch from my experience. They packed in the extra shackle bushes I asked for with the springs too. They're good springs too, so I'm told. She certainly doesn't roll and sway like she used to.
Only thing I would say is make sure the little nut and bolt that locate on the axle perches has the bolt head up and the nut on the bottom of the spring. They were the wrong way around on my rear springs when they were delivered so the axle wouldn't locate properly until I realised.

I also bought a set of standard length U-bolts from Llama 4x4: http://www.llama4x4.com/page5.htm

Mine were the 10mm type but yours might be the thicker 12mm ones unless it's a Type 1 or 2 like mine.

The whole job ended up costing almost £400 for four springs (inc. bushes), four shackle bushes and a full set of eight U-bolts.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

dazerede

Post by dazerede » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

dazerede

Post by dazerede » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 pm

U buger u beat me to it :(
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:48 pm

dazerede wrote:U buger u beat me to it :(
THAT'S BECAUSE I'M STEALING YOUR IDEAS LIKE THE CRIMINAL THAT I AM!
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

SteveR
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SteveR » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks guys

Here in UK visiting and just received new set springs from jap4x4 thanks for directions edweird. Will take them back to Italy in 6 weeks to fit. Set of four standard springs £305 delivered.

they are slightly diff to standard rears in that have the extra thick flat bar for overload protection, funny but these also have the centre bolt wrong way round for standard fitment under axle, wonder why.

Will put up some pics showing new v old when get back home. Looking forward to the fun trying to get 27yr old bolts out, wish me luck.

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 am

Take you time soak/spray them with a good quality penetrating oil a few days prior to remove them. If that dont work try heat on them. Goodluck you will be fine :thumbup:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:44 am

I recommend taking four M12 100mm bolts with nuts and washers home too.

The spring to chassis mount bush has a steel sleeve which the bolt rusts to and usually requires the bolt cutting off.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

SteveR
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SteveR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:46 am

hi guys just a little update.

Have fitted 4 new standard springs from jap 4x4 parts. also put in set of polybushes.
Soaked all bolts for a few days and they all came out with only a bit of swearing and force, all cleaned up nice. Remember that this sj is 27 yrs old but hardley seen any off road or winter action so far.

Maybe useful to someone in future so see pics for comparison of old and new.
A few small pointers as follows
Jack up sj both sides at same time and secure, DO NOT try jacking one side at a time to replace springs as becomes a bugger of a job to align axle springs and mounting plate all together on re-assembly, wasted a good hour or so finding extra jacks and levels on first spring trying to get it all in place.

check centre hole on bottom mounting plate fits spring centre nut, mine needed a little filing, best done before you wonder why nothing fits together well.

As per Edweird, my rear springs came with spring retaining nut bolt the wrong way round, easy job to correct but check first before swearing under SJ.

Rear right hand side rear shackle bolts access is far more limited and all done with spanners instead of ratchet.

All in a pretty straightforward job with common sense and you have a good jack and axle stands and torque wrench.

One last q on this, same as before new springs and now the SJ has new springs and after a quick off road shake down run it is leaning slightly lower on driver side front and back by 1cm, is this normal for SJ's, I'm no heavyweight so can't be me, everything appears straight underneath and all new springs so is this normal, any comments ??

Underneath almost finished now, just the swivel joints to strip and check out with new seals etc.

Thanks
Steve
Attachments
P1010333.JPG
P1010333.JPG (4.88 MiB) Viewed 5320 times
P1010343.JPG
P1010343.JPG (4.89 MiB) Viewed 5320 times
P1010442.JPG
P1010442.JPG (4.74 MiB) Viewed 5320 times
P1010444.JPG
P1010444.JPG (4.96 MiB) Viewed 5320 times

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 am

Not sure about the lean. But Ed's does it too for some reason. On new springs it should sit level.

Usually on older springs they lean to the drivers side front as most SJs only ever seemed to have had the driver in for most of their lives.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank