add a leaf advice on sammy JX (with picture)

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: add a leaf advice on sammy JX (with picture)

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:45 pm

No need for prop spacers with 2" lift.

With lift shackles it knocks the UJs angles out of phase and if the bumpstops aren't lowered they also allow the spring to over flex and because of this they will start to allow a bit more axle wrap, those two things combined are what lead to UJs failing faster.

Any more than 2" lift and then either spacers or extended props are a good idea.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm

The bent helper spring will be fine for now.

Prop spacers is the lazy cheap way to "extend" the prop. It just increases the angle it runs at. I'm takin a guess here but the reason the lift shackle killed the UJs is because the spring is only adjusted at one end it kills the castor angle and the diff and transfer box aren't sat at the correct angles to each other putting additional strain on them.

If you check here http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... 12/t,6191/ goes into prop angles and castor.

Scottie beat me but i'd written it anyway.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

theboy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by theboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:12 pm

yes i can see why the shackles killed my UJ's on my old truck now!

Ok well the overload spring sounds like i will leave alone for now,

Im assuming that on AAL its best to put all the old leafs back in for strength (although sacrificing ride quality i would imagine) ?

cheers

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:15 pm

AAL can be done with mix and match. I imagine its designed and intended to be used with all original leaves. If less leaves are used the problem of the originals drooping at the ends will most likely be worse.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank