Progress.....the 1.6 ran!! but I have starter problems

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Progress.....the 1.6 ran!! but I have starter problems

Post by chris71920 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Just removed the main power lead to the starter but kept the negative attached, and jumped the solenoid directly from the battery, and it clicked in but also started to spin??

That's not normal is it? It's the exact same noise I'm hearing when I try to start it, WITH the main power lead on.

Someone help!

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:40 pm

ARRRRGHHHHH!!! getting really hacked off with this, nothing I try makes any difference! Ive even loosely split the box to try and rotate it without the top bolts in, and the bottom ones loose and sure enough, once the starter is back in, exactly the same. Ive even enlarged the starter holes to give it a bit more rotation but nope, made no difference

I just cant understand it when it bloody worked yesterday!!!

Im out of ideas, dont know what else to try.

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:24 pm

So F****** annoyed with the truck at the moment :evil:

Still having problems with the starter. I got another skinny one off of someone in working order, fitted it to the truck and sure enough it just spins up without engaging.

I cant see what could have moved so much to stop it meshing with the flywheel after initially it was working fine. Its not even SLIGHTLY engaging with the flywheel!!!

Im getting to the end of my tether with it, nothing I try works or makes any difference, I JUST WANT TO DRIVE IT, I miss trekking about in the forest etc :cry:

The only other option is to take the bloody engine out again but after undoing the box-engine bolts so it could rotate freely it didnt even seem to make it any better so what else can I do??!?

Someone sort it pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease :er:

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 am

Where do you live? There might be someone near by who could have a look at it for you.

Does it bump start ok?
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 am

Near Norwich mate.

Not sure as its not very easy to bump things where I live lol plus we don't do hills here in Norfolk! It's also got no throttle cable linkage set up yet either. But it did run briefly when I first tried to start it

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 am

The "new" starter is doing the exact same thing as my old one, I cant believe that they're both shot, it was in working order I've been told and have no reason to dis-believe it.

I need someone who has a known working starter to hook it up out of its mounting and test the same way I did with the spanner just so I know the issue lies elsewhere, PLEASE!! ;)

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Well, not much to update....nothing positive anyway!!

Ive taken then engine out again simply so I can see whats happening with the starter and adjust things easier.

To test the starter I've basically used the plate between engine and box to mount the starter to so effectively its in the same place it would be if the box was on.
After some messing about and trying different starters (the 2 I have) I've got pretty much nowhere Crying or Very sad
I've tweaked things so that the pinion gear is actually firing into the flywheel and meshing nicely it would seem but as soon as its in place it wont turn the engine over, it just spins up but the gear remains still Mad

Also now, 1 of the armature seems to have giiven up the ghost as it wont rotate now under power.

Ive tried both solenoids on the one that is in position and neither make any difference, they both seem to work fine.

I dont know what else to try I'm pulling my hair out (if I had some Wink )

I JUST WANT IT WORKING!!!

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Heres a vid of how it currently sits for testing purposes. As you can see the teeth are now engaging with the flywheel but it just wont turn it!! Also, Ive removed the spark plugs to make it easier and still nothing

I can turn the flywheel with no effort at all with the plugs out for the record Wink

The part nearest the end is the most clear for seeing whats happening, excuse the flicking of the solenoid, I was trying to film and find the battery + terminal with a small wire Embarassed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCNgnH8 ... e=youtu.be

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm

It could be a wiring fault outside the starter. Have you tried putting 12 volts just across the solenoid?
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Its out of the truck at the moment, so Im only using jump leads to hook it up to a fully charged battery from my every day car.

How do you mean just accross the solenoid?