New member - Own LWB SJ413

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: New member - Own LWB SJ413

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 am

twiss wrote:Are you going to be doing any swimming in the zook? If so mount the radios higher up :)
Don't plan to go swimming at the moment, maybe once ive got it on the road and driven it for a bit. If they're just bolted onto a metal bracket I can move them easily to the glove box or something. Cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for the tip though.

Rob

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:05 am

ScottieJ wrote::welcome: to :S:cuk matey, good to see another lwb being given the correct treatment :thumbup:

Should be nice once you have rebuilt it :brows:
It has a good home :) Will be lovely to gave it done, the dam thing can stop draining my wallet. Not much longer to go till MOT, then I have to do the time consuming parts, like stripping the gear box... some idiot drilled a hole between the engine and gearbox, meaning that a new gear box won't bolt onto the engine unless I drill it.

Gear box is fine, just a little leaky and needs some oil. Want to see how one works inside to looking forward to that even though it will be hard work.

Will see if I can get this thread moved to the re-build section and update photos on progress for anyone who is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid ... 4ef7ce13aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that works, you may be able to see all the photos I'm uploading for friends to see.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 am

Well if you hold off on making a build, I have something in the works regarding builds ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 pm

How NOT to wire your car!.JPG
How NOT to wire your car!.JPG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 7106 times
Hello,

Sorry I have been off the forum for a bit, been at university doing exams (chore).

Back now so time to get my car on the road.

Intended to MOT sometime this week, not happening now! Took the rear bumper off (after grinding the bolts off!). Yet another rusty patch to weld back in place. Now understand why the previous owner had issues with the rear lights. I think the picture I have uploaded explains it all.

Tested white Hammerite on the inside and it looks very nice.

Another two days of welding and touch wood it will be finished! Just need to re-wire the lights, paint the bull bars, front and rear bumpers, fix the rear door (rusty hinge came off) and it might get through an MOT.

Still having issues with the brakes, there seems to be a lot of travel with the brake pedal, but they do work. Might just need to be driven for a bit but will see.

Will upload some photo's when she is back on the road. For now still lots to do...

Rob

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 am

I really hate SJ rear lights... those and the crummy rear brakes are the worst point of it I think.

Have you got the spanish lights that have the earth bar across the back, or the japanese lights with individual earth wires for each light? (better)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Don't you love it when previous owners who have no idea what they are doing attack the electrics :shock: It's amazing how many pointless and crap connections you find sometimes! I went through my suzuki and tidied up all the electrics ages ago! it was a mission :lol:

I also just noticed that you wanted this in th ebuild section so i will move it now for you :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Perfect thanks for moving it Scottie, now I don't have to keep updating the new members section with lots of pointless posts about me doing repairs to my car.

Would like to ask the second previous owner who decided to mess around with the wiring what sort of drugs he was on... :argh:

I'm good friends with the person I got it off, and keep him updated with progress on the SJ, he's rather shocked at what he's been driving for the past few years until it failed its MOT about 2 years ago. Especially the beer can Sill!

To top it off, noticed when taking the rear bumper off that the tow bar that was attached previously was cut off with an angle grinder, rather than using a spanner or socket set...

Twiss, on the right side I have the Spanish lights with the single bar, and the left the Japanese lights with the single wires. Cut all the crap out and now need join the wires together once I have cleaned and painted the rear bumper, so it looks as good as new.

Most of the wires were rotten at the back there, so some fun soldering for me with the lights. Did now want to get new ones as they weren't broken, just not wired up very well. Tested everything with my multimeter and everything bleeped ok so fingers crossed it will all work when I connect everything back up :thumbup:

Oh well have three months until i go back to university with which to waste both my time and money. Time to find the next nightmare I unearth before MOT, which fingers crossed will be next week, but knowing my luck it will be next month!

When it's out on some a few lanes will upload some pictures for everyone to see.

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Update,

Well now ready to bolt on the rear bumper and do the wiring.

Went to change the headlight today... My SJ ones off ebay Don't fit. Checked my workshop manual and it seems the ones in my SJ are different...

Wondering if anyone can help me identify what they are so I can get a new one, or if I have to get new bowls for the new headlights I bought. My passenger side one is cracked so need to change it.

The headlight is held in with a screw on the bottom right and a clip at the top left. There are then two plastic screws to adjust the headlight.

I have forgotten to take pictures so I will take some tomorrow and upload. For now, back to some internet research.

Update on the Build:
Almost finished the welding :weld:. Going to buy some more cutting disks tomorrow and then I can repair the bodged sill.
Drivers wing is well... non existent so Welding that back together. I will upload some photographs tomorrow. Two Large jobs to do there :cry:. Will be nice when they are done.

After that Need to weld the rear door hinge mount back together (it rusted away) and the front bumper.

Bolt everything together and pray it will pass an MOT, just so I can get it out of my friends garden.

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:01 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Don't you love it when previous owners who have no idea what they are doing attack the electrics :shock: It's amazing how many pointless and crap connections you find sometimes! I went through my suzuki and tidied up all the electrics ages ago! it was a mission :lol:

I also just noticed that you wanted this in th ebuild section so i will move it now for you :doublethumbs:
Sorting out and tidying the electrics is the only problem I've had with my truck aside from the rust in the fuel tank. I've had to strip out an old relay system that I think drove some spotlights once upon a time, as the wires just went to a dead end just behind the grill. I've had to replace a frayed wire that operated the OS headlight's dip beam. Replaced the wiring to the rear foglights, rewired the courtesy light and lastly wired up an amplifier to run the speakers I salvaged from a dead L**d R***r D*******y from an MP3 player.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:27 pm

get some pics up of the headlights and adjusters etc and I'm sure we'll be able to identify them! chances are they might not be a standard item, lots of people change headlights to ones out of other vehicles.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!