re power steering for samurai

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Seth
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: re power steering for samurai

Post by Seth » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 pm

When you say top and bottom pulley Henry, I suppose you mean the double pulley, which is the bottom pulley and not the top cam pulley.

Splitting a bottom pulley is not a straight forward job, you need to apply plenty of heat to loosen the rubber joint, then hammer the centre piece out, once the centre piece is out, you need to use an angle grinder to cut the two pulleys apart, as they are not really two pulleys at all, just one thick one in two sizes.

If fitting to a 1.3 engine the crank pulley will have four bolts, a Vit 1.6 engine will have five bolts, when you've split the pulley, the larger or outer pulley can be welded to an SJ bottom pulley to make up your double pulley. Done this way, no other pulleys need to be changed, if you just redrill the holes to use the Vit double pulley, you'll have to change the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley for ribbed belts, or swap for a Vit alt.

Another option is to weld an SJ water pump pulley onto an SJ bottom puley, nice and simple, but then you'll need to swap the PAS pump ribbed pulley for a V belt pulley.

You will also need to drill out the nylon locking mechanism in the steering column, the thing that is designed to allow the column to colapse on impact, because the column will nee shortening a little.

You will probably also have to modify your radiator bracket for the steering box.

Stats696
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Stats696 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:28 pm

can i not just swap the top and bottom pulleys from the Jimny to the sammy and re drill them using the old SJ ones as a template?

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Dont be affraid to give the steering coloum a good bit of persuasion to get them to move, even after the locks being drilled out.

You do not need the jimny steering coloum.

About the jimny pullys, i dont know.

And what i mean was, why carnt you weld a vitara water pump pulley onto the sammy v belt bottom pulley so you can run the vit flat belt?

Stats696
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Stats696 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:00 pm

so correct me if im wrong, the most simple set up would be basically everything off an vitara except for the steering box, which should come off a Jimny?

Obviously if i weld the top pulley onto the bottom pulley of my SJ i will have to make sure it is dead centre as balancing problems would be messy!

Im very interested to see if the engine pulleys from the Jimny will fit, because if they do it could be the most simple of all the options, however i may need the altenator off the jimny too??

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:15 am

Yes, thats right.

You might just be able to change the pullys on the alternator.

Seth
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Seth » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:39 pm

The shafts on the Vit and SJ alternator are different, so the pulleys won't swap over, you could use a Vit alt though.

And the water pump pulley is smaller than the outer pulley on the Vit double pulley, so if you welded one of those to an SJ bottom pulley, the belt would be slack if you used a Vit belt, so you'd either have to fab up a tensioner or find a smaller belt.

To say there's only a Vit an SJ and a Jimny, there's a fair bit of difference and it sounds a bit of a nightmare doesn't it, but if you've got a Vit engine in your SJ, then it's straight forward, if you've still got an SJ 1.3 in, then it gets complicated.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm

I think this is going to have to be my next mod. Driving round town with 33's is a right pain in the arse! :evil:

Does it matter what modal vitara you get the parts from? or do they all use the same set up??
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.