MPG?

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: MPG?

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:03 pm

With a suzuki the reality is i dont think you'll ever see much more than 30mpg when my 410 was running 31s i used to get areound 25-28mpg and that was ragging the tits off it everywhere i went :lol: I think as long as the engine is set up nicely you should see those figures! (i do have a dad who used to work for suzuki back in the 70s and somehow he tunes them by ear so that always helps though :lol: )

IMO diesels are a good route for fuel economy and deep water, however they destroy the suzukis strongest! They are perfectly balanced and light! stick a big diesel in the front and it destroys the balance and ends up having a heavy front end and light back end! best bet is something small like a 1.5 isuzu diesel etc. they are still heavier than an SJ or vit lump but not as heavy as a pug or VW diesel!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 pm

I know this might sound pedantic, but I've always been a firm beliver in 'if its not broke, don't fix it' Ive not had to much trouble with the sammy engine, only thing i would have changed is i'd rather of had the 1ltr version, but as mine came with the 1.3 live and let live

Luke

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:00 pm

I would much prefer to keep my standard engine but I'm not sure if I can live with the mpg! I'm going to go on a quest to see if I can improve on the efficiency of the standard 1.3! I have a list of ideas so I will give some a goe and keep you all posted!

Ben

steve853
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by steve853 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 am

Any improvements Ben? I could do with some good news!

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:21 am

Well over christmas I fitted a new lower mileage engine and I polished the head ports. I also polished the inlet manifold and carb inlet. The exhaust is my next port of call but so far I am yet to see an improvement! Maybe the sole fact that a 1300cc engine is driving a four wheel drive set up is just not ever going to be economical! :cry:
I don't really want to do much else to this engine because I'm being drawn further towards a diesel conversion!

Does anyone know which is easiest to fit?

Ben

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:19 pm

Well, I don't actually own a Suzi yet, but we've rented on on holiday.

We drove from Dalama Airport to Guzelcamli (both in turkey) which is about 250 miles. We did a further 300 miles during the week, and then another 250 on the return trip. Throughout the whole trip, we averaged 41 MPG.

This was a white Samurai, with a Soft top that didn't fit properly, with the word 'Rallye' on the tailgate. During the time we drove over a mountain, and a few short trips, though my stepfather was gentle with it. As far as I know, the Sami was un-modified, and only had about 35k on the clock. My guess is that it was fuel injected.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:38 pm

i think the one ed is talking about is a singlepoint injection,they run a lot more efficiently.

mine has a 1500 td engine amaizing for off road.but for commuting i wish i still had the 1lt in it.

as for fuel econamy it is very good eazy 40 - 50 mpg around town

you don't notice any use pf fuel off road'

this year alone i ve soely used old chip fat (wvo) and £ 10 of normal diesel when it got cold at the start of the year, but i still have half a tank of fuel left.

but if you are thinking of a diesel convertion its a lot of work just to get better economy.

tony :P

ellodave
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ellodave » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:16 am

Im running a diesel in mine and yes its better on fuel but thats not a good reason to change to diesel! the reason i changed is becasue of the advantages off road, and because if i see a puddle/lake i tend to drive through it!! I personally think that a diesel conversion is only really worth while if your main use is for off roading! the cost of changing to a diesel alone would out weight the savings you would make. cost me between £400 - £550 area to do the conversion and thats me doing all the work, thats a lot of tanks of fuel. Have you thought about LPG i have seen a few sj's with them on not sure if they have on a 1ltr mind. also free wheeling hubs on the front help with econamy.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:04 am

I had considered looking into LPG on a Zook for when I eventually get one. My stepdad's 3.9 V8 Discovery is on LPG, and costs less to run than Mum's 2.5 TDi version of the same vehicle, because LPG is so cheap.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.