Ive gone and bought another one!

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Ive gone and bought another one!

Post by r-nottz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:49 pm

RickUK wrote:That looks rather nice with that hardtop on,just proves you dont need big bucks to make it look a tidy motor.

Thanks mate it wasn't my intentions to spend anything on it yet alone get it all cheap! Its just.ome of those things, parts keep popping up that I need so I take them as they come, collected the past piece of the puzzle today.

A set of BFG mud terrains , part worn with about 10mm tread on each tyre, £50 I'm not complaining!

They look hugggggeeeeeee in the pictures but the size works out at 31" tall so just what I wanted, will get them fitted tomorrow and see how we do!

r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by r-nottz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:15 pm

All fitted, need a slight bit of inner arch work on the very rear outside edge of the front arch's as there catching on full lock while moving but this was expected, gonna wack the grinder out tomorrow after work and the big hammer and see what I can do!

Mot next then shell be on the road !

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Oooh they look good but pretty tight!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by r-nottz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:26 pm

twiss wrote:Oooh they look good but pretty tight!
Yeah always the way with 31" tyres on vitaras, my last one was the same but after some "work" they didn't catch at any angle , I might do a body lift for the sake of clearance but I'm not a massive fan of them. I dont want to lift the suspension anymore I'm 2" on this one knowing I won't get problems. I'm 3" on my other Vitara and I have spare shafts at the ready!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Yeah body lift doesn't really accomplish that much that you can't do with a big hammer!
Sort of shame its not a bit more rusty or you could chop the arches out ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:16 am

I could have swore this was staying as a daily with next to nothing mods, and now you're talking body lifts :P!!

At least the Jimny can keep up with this one!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by r-nottz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Right been a while.

I decided to get a body lift to clear the tyres, I hate body lifts, why? Because vitara body mounts are usually falling apart.

2 of mine where the same. The two in the rear pasenger footwells to be exact. They seemed fine then as soon as I got to work putting the blocks in everything fell apart. YAY!!!

my head went I got all pissy and in an angry move I let the jack down supporting the body and bent the two front footwell captive bolts.

So I just layed the truck up on the drive until I decided what to do, I was going to buy a mig and learn how to weld but I think it would of been a brave starting point for me and I could of messed a lot up.

So my father in law had it and was going to sort it out in his spare time at his garage. 5 LONG weeks later he brought it back.

All nice new thick metal put in, he even welded up some patches along the way, ran in zinc coated bolts with a slot cut out the inner skin of the truck so I could do them up from inside and out, he was going to weld in a captive nut but feared in so many years time we could be in the same boat again. So at least this way its acessable.

Very good job I was over the moon with it.

Started putting it all back together now just interior has to go back in and nsf brake caliper needs freeing off or replacement its siezed solid!

In a week or so it should be on the road! Cant wait!!

r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by r-nottz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Ok guys again, its been a while!

So where are we?

Right.

Truck is now road legal

Spent a few evenings getting it ready for mot

New nsf brake flexy, replaced nsf caliper with one i had laying around as the other was siezed, put the interior back in, fitted my winch bumper, new rear number plate, a good check over of all the bolts AND another set of wheels, kuhmo ventures 31/10.5 on a set of 10j modular steels with good offsets so it actually clears the chassis on full lock!

Took it in for mot and bar a handbrake cable and 2 bulbs it passed! Also it felt a little lumpy on the way to the mot but my mate who tested it found that to be a loose ht lead! I think when I lifted the body this caused it.

So all well and happy with 12 months ticket I took it out yesterday for its maiden voyage, also took my son who hasn't been offroading properly before and he had a absolute blast!

Was nice to smell the burning mud on the exhaust, see the mud flicking everywhere and go down some of my old favourite byways again!

The truck performed beautifully, didn't miss a beat the whole day on or off road. I managed to get a few pictures between lanes, desperate to hit some more now!!

Cheers for looking guys!

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:22 am

Looking good!!

Need to get mine sorted then we need a small laning trip!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by r-nottz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Took the truck to a local pay and play last Sunday.

Blew the front diff within 5 minutes!!

Me being me and not wanting to ruien the whole day for me and my son carried on in 2wd all day, getting stuck getting dragged out then doing it all again. Was a good day and place also filled up with a lot of good frendly local likeminded people

Truck is now on my drive with the front axle/diff removed I have a steel diff casing that the internals are being swapped into Monday. Then she's ready to go again!