Extended spring perches?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Extended spring perches?

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Only con I can really think of is weight but most SJs could do with a little more weight in the rear anyway.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:Only con I can really think of is weight but most SJs could do with a little more weight in the rear anyway.
Mine can for sure!

I saw one anti wrap which was basically a straight bar with a track rod end either side going from a bar welded I between chassis and to the top of the diff. Would this be classed as good or bad?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Bad....you need to remember that the axle will move forwards and backwards during flex because of the way leaf springs flex, it could also cause the axle to rotate slightly during flex.

Shuduck's is a good design, and yes he is SPUA and runs an anti wrap bar. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/8 ... ead-9.html

Or something like this, it will not restrict articulation.
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.05 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 pm

How does the one in the picture allow the axle to move?

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:57 pm

The bottom pivot allows for articulation and the top two allow for up and down motion.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Rant time !

Ok. So I've been using my suzuki for a number of years on all types of terrain, running big tyres lockers and generally abused my truck, Paul had also done the same on the same setup for years and his was on the road.

No wrap? At all.... Watch the videos of mine flexing and driving and winching ! No wrap.

Check that picture a few replies up, look at the springs ! No good to man nor chicken !

Get a proper setup and you won't need one, or on the other hand don't get a good setup and need one.

Sorry ! Rant over

Please lads by the way I'm joking, that's just my honest view. Share the same view on virtual lifts being ugly.

This is what makes us all different I suppose.

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:55 pm

I agree with the virtual lift, not my cup of tea but I guess if it serves a purpose then so be it.

My springs are nothing like the above ones, mine have 4 leafs and still flex really well. Non standard leafs.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:04 pm

I know sweet F A about SPOA.

As mike says he runs it fine with no anti tramp but doesnt do any fast road miles so its rare that his springs are under constant torsion for long periods of time. Was it Einstein "every action equal and opposite reaction" even on a road crusing at 50 the axle will be trying to twist opposite to the wheels turning.

I strongly agree with Mike about running good springs. Was it Ed and Dazerade bought cheap aftermarket springs that were sagging after a few weeks / months on a SPUA and relatively small tires and F10 engines.

I've done thousands of miles on my springs and they are still in very good condition even after some serious abuse.

Have to ask, how are your bump stops setup? Are the springs being over flexed / forced into a gap shorter than the spring is long on full articulation?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Now I'm running bumps tops at a point wher the spring is just about to become flat, previous to this it was just on standard bump stops. Killed the old springs in no time!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:53 pm

There is always some spring wrap with leaf springs......no matter what springs they are and to say you don't get any will never be true, if the diff nose tilts up as little as 2-3* under load that is spring wrap, the whole reason rear springs have the flat leaf with clamps on the bottom is to Reduce and fight spring wrap.

Fit larger tyres and it increases the amount of torque required to turn the wheels increasing spring wrap
Fit a bigger engine with more torque and it'll increase the torque at the axle, increasing spring wrap
Lower the gearing, increases the torque at the axle, increasing spring wrap

Yes good springs will be more resistant to spring wrap but eventually they will start to fatigue and spring wrap will increase. I know quite a few people who have had good springs eventually start to suffer from bad spring wrap and even eventually snap leafs. Even Toyota Hilux's that are spoa from the factory and the springs are designed for spoa suffer from it and I've replaced a few sets with snapped leaves on friends vehicles.

Anti wrap bars also help reduce axle tramp and wheel hopping/bouncing up climbs, tramp is caused by spring wrap.

Can you get away with not running one with good springs....yes but the springs will last longer and power will be transmitted to the ground better with one. It's physics, the torque and energy has to get transferred somewhere and with just leaf springs you will transfer some of that through the springs.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!