Tyres for my SJ

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
88SJ
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Tyres for my SJ

Post by 88SJ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:31 pm

I have always run BFG Muds. 215/75 15s on a number of previous SJs and on a Vitara. Now running 235s on current SJ

I find them pretty good on the road...maybe a bit noisy but let's face it 'SJ' and 'quiet' really shouldn't appear in the same sentence!! These tyres never let me down off-road when I used to travel to various sites up and down the country. Thoroughly recommend them...

Being shallow I run the BFGs now cos I think they look cool!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:38 pm

i prefer the buckhots to the BFGs

The tread pattern has larger voids between the lugs and I've always found that they perform better in the mud than the old BFG pattern that is similar.
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (69.07 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:15 pm

I use my zooks 90% on road but always have mud tyres on them. The handling is surprisingly good, especially in the Vitara. Even the LJ can be flung into a bend with gusto and that thing is massive! Road noise? Pah! The exhaust drowns all that out!
If it ticks over...leave it

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Can't say the minor difference has ever been noticeable to me.

Winched a Vitara running Maxxis Buckshots out of the mud last week. Then pulled around the Vitara, hooked a strop onto the back of my SJ (Front of Vitara), and drove through the mud that the Vitara had just got stuck in, dragging it along behind me. :) (SJ is on Kingpin's version of the BFs)

Although that could also just prove, that Vitaras are not as good as SJ. haha

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03 am

Vits do have slightly less ground clearance than an Sj on the same size tyres, they have a slightly bigger rear diff and depending how much lift the have the front IFS can cause clearance issues.

Been out plenty of times where vits have been stuck and SJs on the same size tyres have driven through with no issues.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:26 pm

SJs are epic. Thats why! :D
Every time I go out, bigger truck owners really under estimste mine.

Matt
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:38 pm

I run 235-70-15 kumho kl71 and I can't fault them! They're great on road and give little road noise and great off road too, only downside is they're directional which can be a problem if your reversing etc. but overall I've never had a problem with them
1987 - Suzuki sj410q
31" Maxxis MT764 Bighorns
Winch & winch bumper
LED light bar
Safari snorkel
Mk1 golf headlights
Bucket seats

http://www.youtube.com/user/Matt270498

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:26 pm

binge wrote:SJs are epic. Thats why! :D
Every time I go out, bigger truck owners really under estimste mine.
This bombhole at mud monsters got more and more difficult every time I went... Check from about 22 seconds in:

Click Here for Youtube Video

Eventually it got so bad I couldn't *quite* get through it. I got 99% of the way out, but couldn't quite get the nose over.

Other vehicles tried, including a land cruiser with twin lockers, and didn't even get close. The only thing that got through was a front and rear locked D90 with 35's.

With mild mud tyres, I generally only got stuck in the places where the relatively "built" D90's got stuck too, but in a vehicle I took great pleasure in telling them cost less than their tyres.

Now with the aggressive mud tyres, I don't even get stuck in the places they do. For me to get stuck, it has to be something that only the challenge trucks can tackle.

If/when I put lockers in front and back, watch out. This wee beastie will be weaponised.

I think SJ's are probably the best 4x4's you can buy. Putting aside the rivalries, I like D90's and I think they'd be great if they were reliable, but they're not. And they're spendy. Since a decent spec SJ can easily match a better spec D90, to my mind at least that makes the SJ the better offroader.

It's cheaper, it's more reliable, it's generally all round awesome. The only negatives I see is that they're not as comfy and they suck down dino juice like it's a mission.

Edit - Before anyone asks, that video was recorded by Hilux Scottie on his King Edwards.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Another vote for Maxxis Bighorns. Spend the extra cash and get the real deal not a remould copy. The extra tech and better compound rubber make a massive difference to road manners over the cheaper stuff.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:15 pm

He does say 'power' an awful lot... :hahaha:
If it ticks over...leave it