XUD conversion Member cross with a cross member

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: XUD conversion Member cross with a cross member

Post by d_r_1989 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:49 pm

ROBBIE wrote:
jagosdad wrote:I know this shows my novice credentials but,......can I stick my axle under the spring? Would this be a useful mod?

The sj is not going on the road.
Yep its called spring over axle, soa. In my opinion a nasty modification
Mines spoa and I have no issues what so ever with it. Think you would have to be spoa to fit the engine in properly.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:52 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
ROBBIE wrote:
jagosdad wrote:I know this shows my novice credentials but,......can I stick my axle under the spring? Would this be a useful mod?

The sj is not going on the road.
Yep its called spring over axle, soa. In my opinion a nasty modification
Mines spoa and I have no issues what so ever with it. Think you would have to be spoa to fit the engine in properly.
If done properly might be. But I always remember following someone at a p+p, never seen something on its side as much as that, hence why I think its scary :shock:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm not a fan of spoa. I like my sjs low and stable. I also like shallow driveline angles and less axle wrap.

Personally I see no need to go SPOA unless you really need the lift for massive tyres, even then I would find ways to keep it as low S possible.

Tbh I would rather modify the sump, raise the engine or move the axle forwards than go spoa if I had clearance issues.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Ye mine has samurai axles and 32mm spacers with wide offset wheels with 235 tyres so it makes up for a lot of it!

If your keeping original wheels and sj axles I'd recommend not going spoa!

Also haven't had chance to get to unit tonight but I'll get some tomorrow for you to help give you an idea.

jagosdad
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jagosdad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Well, I am having a go at soa as it looks simple enough. I have done all the grinding and welding and now just have to bolt it all back together. Would it help to lower the transfer box?

Some one told me that u can turn my wheels around to give me a wider foot print. I would need to dish out the holes, but is this a reasonable idea? I will add some pictures as I go

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Spoa might look simple but to do it properly it isn't cheap.

You will need longer shocks, longer brakelines, longer props (prop spacers just make the uj angles worse) and a high steer conversion at the very least.

You could lower the transfer box however it's going to make the intermediate prop run at a steeper angle and that is not ideal as it rotates pretty fast and could cause vibes and driveline issues. You will also loose clearance underneath.

You can't just reverse wheels, even the ones people say that you can do it with have issues if you turn them around, they do not seat properly on the drums and the valves get ripped off by the front callipers.

I would be wary as there's lots of people around who seem to think bodging sjs is a good idea and recommend things that I wouldn't even think about doing.

I'm not completely anti spoa but it really is a last choice mod for me. Theres a lot more negatives than benefits.

There's a group of our sjs, all on tyres between 235/75r15 and 33x12.50r15 tyres, only one is spoa and he is now building a new SJ that is staying spua. If you do go spoa I do not recommend adding any more lift in the springs or longer shackle etc unless you in ease the wheelbase otherwise you will have issues with the driveline angles, you can just about get away with it on standard springs and a standard wheelbase.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:21 am

My LJ has spoa on the front and it has been done very well. However as Scottie said I do need to fit a high steer kit (£220) and at the moment it handles like an elephant on roller skates. It is running 33" tyres and is 6ft 5" tall. I'd say do it but remember the higher you go the wider you need to go. My car is very wide lol.

And why is your member cross? (sorry)
If it ticks over...leave it

jagosdad
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jagosdad » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:32 am

Can someone explain what a higher steering kit does?

If I lower the transfer box will I still need to lengthen the prop shafts?

Btw really impressed with everyones input.

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:03 am

A high steer kit raises the steering bar link mounting points on the steering knuckles, so that your steering can still work.

Without it, your pitman arm is too far from the drag link.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Ok some bad quality pics for you as I was rushing.

Ideally I would like to remake them but they work fine for now. The drivers mount has 2 bits of bar welded underneath them for reinforcement as it sticks out further.