Rust

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Rust

Post by ben_moto501 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Well as I didn't have much on this weekend I thought I'd have a closer look at that 50p sized hole in my footwell and clean in up ready for welding! I pulled the carpet up and had a close look, what I found was lots of fibreglass! I thought it can't be much and as I'd rather have it all plated properly I thought it best to remove this and clean up the metal!
Well this proved to be a little disheartening...
I now have a hole in the floor I can get my head in and more worryingly this hole elongates and follows the box section of sill... The result is that on the drivers side none of the floorpan touches the sill! Nothing!! After removing the fibreglass the sill now wobbles under its own weight! While I was there I pulled off the rear arch extension to reveal an inner arch that didn't touch the outer arch at all!
I knew it needed welding up but this just really got me down! So much to do to it and I've not even touched the passenger side!!
If anyone has any tips on such a repair they would be very welcome! I read somewhere a section of 45 gallon drum will make a new inner arch as money is tight. Are there any companies that can supply a new floor panel?
The only good news I've had this weekend is tracing down a pair of front wings in repairable condition!

Any thoughts would be very welcome in this dark time! :cry:

Ben

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Rust

Post by carnut » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:08 pm

i would start by replacing the outer sill with box section,then you have something to weld to. you can get sheets of steel to suit,, if need-be you can also run some bracing under the new floor.
andy

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:53 pm

When you say replace it with box section what do I attach the box section to? Is it only meant to attach to the floor and the side panels? As it happens I have acces to some 100mm box section from work whichis going free! Would that be a good start?

Ben

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 pm

have a look in the DIY section for,,, rock sliders. gives you a good ideal what im onabout. once there welded in you have a good basis to start from..