Airbag warning light

All tech relating to the newest bread of suzuki 4x4s
Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Airbag warning light

Post by Darrell » Sat May 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Nick40 wrote:Hi Everyone, Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, just to update everyone just in case they have a similar issue, as you all know the fault code suggested that the drivers side airbag was at fault or at least the circuit was sending back high resistance so it was then just a case of finding out what component was at fault, I bought a 3.3ohm resistor 2 amp 0.25 watts from Maplins, crimped two very small female spade connectors like the ones they use on speakers and connected it to the airbag socket Connecter C ?? , essentially replacing the airbag socket with the resistor, this had no effect, so I connected it lower down behind the steering wheel cowling about knee high Connector B ?? where the airbag diagnostic reader lives and hey presto normal light reading, so now I can replace the squib, knowing that this is definitely the offender, might come in useful if you want to disconnect your airbags and still pass an MOT, or as a home made diagnostics tool.
Hope I've understood this correctly :oops:
I thought the squib was the airbag :er:
I read the above to believe the coil/clockspring is at fault.
Sorry for being a dumbass...

Thanks for keeping us informed :thumbup:
Attachments
21.png
21.png (30.96 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Nick40
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Nick40 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:39 pm

yep connected first to connector c, no change then connector b and that fixed, maybe I am the dumbass, I thought clockspring and squib were the same thing, any way its the circular thing that sits behind the wheel that is obviously at fault, my lights now behave normally even though my airbag is disconnected.,

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Sat May 31, 2014 4:53 pm

As far as i was aware squib/clock spring or another term I've heard is slip rings all mean the movable connections that connect any steering wheel electrics to the loom. Nick40 glad you have fix the airbag light although obviously it won't deploy in an accident. Mind you any airbag system over 10 years old may not work anyway. I do think the airbag MOT thing is a bit of a joke as you will only ever know if it works in an accident and then you have basically got to hit a wall square on to make them go off
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Sat May 31, 2014 4:59 pm

Ginger_boy wrote:As far as i was aware squib/clock spring or another term I've heard is slip rings all mean the movable connections that connect any steering wheel electrics to the loom.
Now I'm being thick the squib is the pyrotechnic which sets off the air bag doh!!!
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sat May 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Ginger_boy wrote:As far as i was aware squib/clock spring or another term I've heard is slip rings

Slip-rings are different and allow continuous rotation. The clock spring carries the connections to the steering wheel and is called that because that's what it looks like inside, it allows several turns of the steering wheel but if you turn it too far it will pull apart. The squib is the bit that goes bang.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz