softer shocks needed

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

softer shocks needed

Post by jutwit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:12 pm

hey guys, i bought a samurai just after xmas and it has extended springs giving about a 2 -3 inch lift with pro comp shocks, the problem is the shocks are so hard a tarmac road feels like a green lane, its driving me insane, i get bounced out of the seat if i go over a small pot hole, and im no lightweight, the sj i had before this was on standard suspension and it was like a rolls royce in comparison, been advised that rancho shocks are good and sit in between the pro comps and standard shocks stiffness wise, but having trouble finding them in the uk. any sudjestions? im to afraid to take it off road as it is because my chiropracter fees will be more expensive than some new shocks by the time she fixes my back. :roll: so what you all reckon?

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: softer shocks needed

Post by Henry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:53 am

Personally mine is as hard as nails. I took the shocks off it completely once and went for a spin and it was still hard!

What i think you will find is that depending on what sort of lift springs you have put under her, she may be hard due to that. I run iron mans on the rear and add a leafs on the front and both are renown (especially the ironmans) for being hard as **** :twisted:

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:02 am

dont buy expensive shocks.
i have vauxhall nova gas rears on the front. and (new mod) renault megan cab gas rears on the rear.

this is the best combo i have used so far.

as for springs i have ome lift springs all round.

tip for springs.

wash them off, jack up the truck,(as high as poss,one corner at a time)
clean all the remaining crud out of the leafs. spray with wd40 or gt85.(i use aresol waxoil get it free)
do this all the way round (include it in your WEEKLY fluid checks and general cleanup).

you will find that it lubricates the springs giving a much less harsh ride.

tony :P

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 am

forgot to say.

with leaf springs if you dont clean them out regulary all the crud (sand at compton basset)
will act as a abbrasive between them and could wear them to such a extent that they WILL snap or bend.

we all have seen bent front leafs at pay & play days,im not saying this is the onle cause but it dont help
to have your expensive springs weakend buy exsesive wear.

i think that makes sence..reading it back. :!:

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:52 am

I heard something about using plastic slats between each leaf, that way the leafs slide on the plastic (so it acts as a lubricant) and it makes a small clearnce between the leafs so can clean them out,

It seems like a good idea, but I've never done it myself

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I have always been against putting grease (as in proper grease) between the leafs.

Thst sort of stuff just acts as glue and holds mud and crud in them. :roll: :evil:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:54 pm

d86 wrote:forgot to say.

with leaf springs if you dont clean them out regulary all the crud (sand at compton basset)
will act as a abbrasive between them and could wear them to such a extent that they WILL snap or bend.

we all have seen bent front leafs at pay & play days,im not saying this is the onle cause but it dont help
to have your expensive springs weakend buy exsesive wear.

i think that makes sence..reading it back. :!:
one thing i never do :oops: :oops: perhaps i should start :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Turb() » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm

d86 wrote:dont buy expensive shocks.
tip for springs.

wash them off, jack up the truck,(as high as poss,one corner at a time)
clean all the remaining crud out of the leafs. spray with wd40 or gt85.(i use aresol waxoil get it free)
do this all the way round (include it in your WEEKLY fluid checks and general cleanup).

you will find that it lubricates the springs giving a much less harsh ride.

After fitting new springs my ride was extremely hard. To the point I was getting airbourne over the tiniest of bumps. Not cool lol.
I tried this technique and its made the world of difference! I'm guessing it was just that the springs were dry between the leaves?
Whatever it was anyway, wow is all I can say lol