Fitting YJ springs to a Samurai

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Fitting YJ springs to a Samurai

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Looks good!!

Now everything has settled check your Driveline angles, it only takes a few degrees to cause vibes.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks guys.

Good news. The vibration was coming from the front prop. I re fitted the standard Samurai one, just to give 4WD. Knowing it was too short really. That's what the problem turned out to be, not enough spline engagement so allowing wobble between the two halves.
Had a drive without it fitted and all is good. Just need to be patient now and get the LJ70 prop back from the fabricators and try that.

8-)
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Great stuff. Looks like it performs well.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:56 am

Ladaman - Looks good any pics of the back springs and how far they stick out at the back, shackle angle etc?
Zuk·en·stein - A monster made from parts of cadavers and brought to life by the power of an electrical charge.

What the fool cannot understand he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of latent idiocy.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:58 pm

I will get you some pics Monday night. I've been out today.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Looks brilliant!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 pm

zukenstein wrote:Ladaman - Looks good any pics of the back springs and how far they stick out at the back, shackle angle etc?
Here you go. Not the best shot, and I must admit I'm not overjoyed with the extra length on the tail end of the springs, but hey ho. It's all part of the "development" isn't it?
The upside is, I have just tried my 31's on, and expecting to need to do a virtual lift, but I think I'm going to be OK with just some thinnish front wheel spacers :armsup:

Who know's if it really bugs me I might just bite the bullet and get some proper YJ's.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (295.39 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
YouTube

zukenstein
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukenstein » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 am

cheers Ladaman thanks for that :)
Zuk·en·stein - A monster made from parts of cadavers and brought to life by the power of an electrical charge.

What the fool cannot understand he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of latent idiocy.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:48 pm

I went to work in the Suzuki today as the weather was nice. at lunchtime I got one of the guys to assist with a bit of a flex test. All looks to be okay, so lets see how it performs at Tong on Sunday.

Will the "protruding" shackles be an issue? Lets wait and see.
Attachments
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 6539 times
YouTube

Cyprus Geoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Cyprus Geoff » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Looks great, how close to the filler did you get with the new plastic wheel arch
on the drivers side?