pick up or fast back

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
bencotterell
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

pick up or fast back

Post by bencotterell » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi. Ive got an sj410 Santana the previous owner took back off and put wood boards behind seat to make the cab. That's now rotting so want to replace it with metal but dunno weather to just go straight down behind seats or go to the rear tailgate. What do you think?

thanks ben

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: pick up or fast back

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Depends what you want out of your truck really mate. I have a a bulk head behind the seats, and some others do also, which has advantages such as smaller cab, so heats up quicker etc, but then you cant access the rear from the from, which i think i will miss. How would you do the fast back if you were to do it? just the standard fast back soft top, or full metal fabrication?
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Personally I would either get Fibreglass hard top or a fastback soft top, ran mine as a pick up for ages and with British weather it's nice to be able to keep stuf in the back dry :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Fast back soft top, looks bang on!
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

bencotterell
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by bencotterell » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Was thinking of making my own fast back if i do. Mate of myne welds for a living working on multi million pound yaughts so would get him to weld it. I have a plastic/fibreglass roof on at at minute. I love the look of the fast back soft tops but also love having it as a pick up. The only downside to the pick up in 6"2 and find it bit cramped in cab. Think it might just be a case of buying the metal and deciding on the day.