Fuel filter replaced won't start now?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Sj410red
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Fuel filter replaced won't start now?

Post by Sj410red » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:02 pm

I spent today replacing plugs , leads, dizzy cap, points, condenser, oil and filter and the last thing was the fuel filter. Went to start, fire up and ran for 5 mins at idle, went to test run it and it dies, got spark so electrics ok, checked fuel filter, it was not full, just part full, tried turning engine longer to try pull fuel thru but not firing at all, put on old filter, turned engine again, again not firing, fuel filter not getting fuel there is half a tank, so I asking is there a way to bleed fuel thru to carb? It's 410 with standard carb, and was running fine before, just a bit lumpy due to old plugs, points.
3" calmini lift springs
6" shackles
Rough Country Shocks
Z bar
32mm spacers
Aisan free wheeling hubs
Roll bar
Snorkel
K&N air filter
Poly bushes all round
Diff & Box high breather pipes
Front Diff guard

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Fuel filter replaced won't start now?

Post by Jordi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Probably needs bleeding.

Just suck on the fuel pump feed pipe till you get a mouthful of petrol. Because it was running at idle it wasn't pumping hard enough to bleed itself.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Either that or there was some crap left over in the lines that have made it through to the carb.

Could give the jets a clean http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/index.php ... =13&t=2867

Also could be worth replacing all the rubber fuel lines as these can perish and crack meaning that you just end up sucking air, if all the fuel lines are good then there should be no issues pulling fuel through even if there is air in the lines and at idle as these pumps pull more than they need through at idle, hence why there is a fuel return line.

If all the above fails it's time to drop the tank and I left the pick up pipe on the tank itself these do split sometimes.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Sj410red
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Sj410red » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Ok, thanks chaps, There has been recently a smell of fuel after it has been run from the back end, so i am suspecting a perished pipe on the tank somewhere and it's coincidence it's just died after i have done this service work.
3" calmini lift springs
6" shackles
Rough Country Shocks
Z bar
32mm spacers
Aisan free wheeling hubs
Roll bar
Snorkel
K&N air filter
Poly bushes all round
Front Diff guard

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Check flexi pipe from fuel tank, mine smelt of fuel but could"nt find leak till pipe perished through. You may have finished it off when changing filter and not noticed. You have got fuel lines o filter right way around?

dilligaf
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dilligaf » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:42 pm

A very good tip learnt from guys in Texas....Once a year put a small bottle of (surgical spirit) or as the "septics" call it (Rubbing alcohol) in your tank and fill with fresh gas.This emulsifies with any water etc in your tank and burns off through the carb..works for me as petrol down here can be a bit watery due to condensation etc !!!!! As well as keeping tabs on your rubber hoses etc.

Sj410red
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Sj410red » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:21 am

The pipe from the fuel tank is metal except 2 inches of flexy hose just before the fuel filter, then on other side of filter it's flexy again for 2 inches then it joins to metal pipe again, is this normal on the 410's?
3" calmini lift springs
6" shackles
Rough Country Shocks
Z bar
32mm spacers
Aisan free wheeling hubs
Roll bar
Snorkel
K&N air filter
Poly bushes all round
Front Diff guard

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:31 am

Sj410red wrote:The pipe from the fuel tank is metal except 2 inches of flexy hose just before the fuel filter, then on other side of filter it's flexy again for 2 inches then it joins to metal pipe again, is this normal on the 410's?
Yes. The standard bits of flexi are either side of the filter, above the tank and there are also several bits of flexi in the engine bay. None of them are more than about half a meter long.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Sj410red
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Sj410red » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:38 am

Ok thanks Edweird, I will drop the tank guard and tank and have a look, and prob clean and paint it all while it's off, as I never have as of yet
3" calmini lift springs
6" shackles
Rough Country Shocks
Z bar
32mm spacers
Aisan free wheeling hubs
Roll bar
Snorkel
K&N air filter
Poly bushes all round
Front Diff guard

Sj410red
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Sj410red » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:00 am

After much flaffing, dropped guard and tank, 1 bolt's welded nut sheared and I had to cut it off, anyway after closer inspection of tank pipes, the fuel feed metal pipe was corroded so replaced with flexi right up to the filter and the fuel return metal pipe looked just as bad so again replaced that, painted tank and guard while it was off, reassembled it all, changed engine bay fuel pipes, got a mouthful of petrol pulling fuel thru upto pump, turned it over and bingo, she fired into life again. So just got to road test to see how it's runs after all the parts I've changed on it. Just one question tho, after it was warmed up, choke off, I'd rev it and it still bogs down for a second before picking up, any idea anyone? I'm thinking timing?
3" calmini lift springs
6" shackles
Rough Country Shocks
Z bar
32mm spacers
Aisan free wheeling hubs
Roll bar
Snorkel
K&N air filter
Poly bushes all round
Front Diff guard