'EPIC TREK' suspension kit

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

'EPIC TREK' suspension kit

Post by Rhinoman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:36 pm

This is interesting - although probably too pricy for most UK SJ owners:

http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=53
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: 'EPIC TREK' suspension kit

Post by Ladaman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:57 pm

If I was going to spend big money on suspension (YJ swap will be a few £ in the end), I'd go coil and ditch the leafs. Something like this.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... views.html

Expensive, but neat.

Maybe that's my next project after I've got the YJ's sorted. ;)
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Ladaman - the problem with going coils is that any chassis mods are likely to require an IVA test, which a bone stock vehicle would fail. Getting *any* SJ through an IVA test is going to be a hell of a job.

You can box in a 3 sided chassis rail (make it a 4 sided chassis rail) and you can add crossmembers, but you can't make the chassis wider, taller, longer etc unless anything you add bolts on, using existing bolt holes.

Now, that leaves a very interesting loophole:

Add the spring mounts using bolt-around plates like the ones for that panhard mount that sandwich the chassis, and you haven't broken the rules. If they had extended shock mounts integrated into them too, then you could make a bolt-on kit that breaks none of the rules.

If your trailing arms use the leaf spring mounts, or new mounts attached to a new crossmember between the chassis rails, then you're all legal. Technically you might need to get the DVLA to inspect it under the 8 point system, but you'd be legal.

Or so the rules I read (admittedly over a year ago) seemed to indicate...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:19 am

That dreaded word "sniggers"

IVA
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by trotter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:37 am

Anton wrote:Ladaman - the problem with going coils is that any chassis mods are likely to require an IVA test, which a bone stock vehicle would fail. Getting *any* SJ through an IVA test is going to be a hell of a job.
has anyone ever got a sj though one?
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:48 am

trotter wrote:
Anton wrote:Ladaman - the problem with going coils is that any chassis mods are likely to require an IVA test, which a bone stock vehicle would fail. Getting *any* SJ through an IVA test is going to be a hell of a job.
has anyone ever got a sj though one?
Probably, but I've yet to meet them. I should imagine it doesn't much look like an SJ any more either.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 am

But who makes the decision, or decides on if it's been altered? Is it the MOT man?
And if you know a friendly MOT man ;)
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 am

The decision is made by VOSA but I believe that the MOT man can now report it to VOSA. VOSA have also been known to do spot checks on vehicles leaving off-road sites.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Vosa also have the right by law to retest the vehicle again.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Ladaman wrote:
But who makes the decision, or decides on if it's been altered? Is it the MOT man?
And if you know a friendly MOT man ;)
VOSA. Essentially, you are responsible for filling out the right forms (I think it's called a "declaration of significantly modified vehicle") if you mod your car or truck in any significant manner.

What "significant" means isn't defined in any of the documents I've read. You'd be ok driving around with a vehicle that hasn't been declared modded, and the MOT man won't care in most cases - unless a vehicle is blatantly not what it used to be (like the bloke who bought a mini body on an SJ410 chassis, then the MOT man wouldn't MOT it, because it said Suzuki SJ410 on the log book, but he was looking at what he thought was a jacked-up mini).

Where you're likely to get into trouble is if you get pulled by the police or VOSA for some reason, and they notice your vehicle is significantly altered. They might not know your suspension setup isn't stock. But in the event of an accident, an investigator can make all kinds of claims about your mods...?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map