Mikes Samurai build / use / fixing broken bits after abuse

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Mikes Samurai build updated 17/05/13 :)

Post by mike harris » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:56 pm

There just stronger mate. The internal spline is the whole length of the end of the cv stub shaft.

They're made completely of metal, no plastic at all. They have proper I rings between all the surface and they are recessed into the hub it's self.

And there shiny and say warn on them :)

dazerede
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by dazerede » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Haha i bet they cost you a not mate
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:26 pm

The main reason I bought these is to just be able to turn drive of. If anything breaks I don't want it turning the drivetrain making things worse. So I can turn each wheel of and be towed back not doing any more damage.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:57 am

If I had a full floating rear, I think I'd do the same. As long as you have one axle that's ok, you can disconnect the prop (if it's the rear that's broken) and hubs, and limp home in front wheel drive (or rear, whatever).

It's a darned good idea.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Yeh I just want to turn the whole lot of and be towed out or recovered. If it breaks I don't want to drive it at all.

I got my new boggers at the weekend. Not sure about them yet though, there big. 35 14.50 kind of big.

The issue I have is my boggers clog in mud, but every time this happens all other trucks at these events all have clogged tyres as well. No tyre cleans that well. So what I am thinking is, is it worth it? In sandy terrain or rocks yes. But mud which is most of what I do, I am not so sure.

Conundrum.... Fit them, see what needs cutting to make them fit. Try them.

Or sell them and forget about the whole thing.

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 am

Mike - the thing about tyres "clearing" mud is that you can't just look at them and tell.

See, when your tyres *look* like slicks made out of mud, you have to bear in mind that it's only there temporarily - the moment you start moving again, it'll get squeezed out at the bottom and replaced with new mud. Or if you floor it, it'll fling the mud off.

So even when your tyres are completely clogged, you'll still get that "paddle boat" effect and get more traction with decent MT's than you would with road radials or AT's.

Essentially, the new mud squeezes the old mud out through the sides. This is only really helpful if you floor it, or if your tyre cuts through the crap to the solid stuff underneath. When you're flinging mud around by flooring it, the ejected mud is actually sometimes all that is propelling you along - there's a whole science to it (it even has its own name, which I can't remember for the life of me) that the top rally car teams get right into.

But essentially it's a bit like a paddleboat - you push something violently in one direction, you move in the opposite direction. Which is one of the things that makes an SJ awesome - sometimes we "float" over things others sink into because we're so light, and this "paddleboat" effect keeps us moving.

When it goes wrong, you sink, bog down and dig in. Watch some of the american bog runners when they stop - they *visibly* sink. You can see the moment when they stop "floating" and start to sink/dig, and at that moment you know it's all over for them.

Click Here for Youtube Video

Having said that, I think your truck is too far beyond the rest, so for our sanity, you're going to have donate those tyres to the Anton truck awesomeification program... :brows:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:16 pm

I say get trimming and trying!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:24 am

Yeh, il try them :)

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:49 pm

There sat there looking at me.....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 5026 times

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:56 pm

New springs turned up today, so did the fuel pump and new fan.

Fitting a 35 on a wheel tomorrow to eye them up to see what they look like, my plan is to make my mind up on them then maybe cut the front end. I will also limit the upward travel, to stop the tyres from hitting the bulk head and front flitches. And maybe prolong the life of the springs.

The new springs are the same as the old ones but I am going to leave the bottom hard leaves in, like in the rear. These should help with axle wrap which I am worried about with the extra grip from 35 inch tyres.

Need to get round to doing the rear winch, twin batteries and maybe if I am feeling up to it two alternators....

I am going to rebuild both axles again, just check for any damage or wear, repair the front end where it's been beaten, new scren. I haven't got the money for it yet but I am in talks with the powers above about having a cage made. He's got ideas which are super cool. (Anyone who soor the build of dunks cage, it will be like that but a bit madder :)

It's silly things I need to do like replace aux belts, redo some wiring and stuff like that which I have been meaning to do since I built it. Little things really annoy me lol :)

Do that, then mud monsters challenge series next year. If I can sort out a co driver who's mad enough.