Power steering questions!

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: Power steering questions!

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:18 pm

any clues on bolting it to the 1.3 block? i guess i will find out saturday! and my radiator has already been moved further forward so will have to see what clearance i have.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:18 pm

If you mod the adjuster to collapse the bracket further it should clear the rad anyway. Think the 2 holes are there for the pump on a g13
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Got the 2 plates cut last night for the steering block wedge. Does anyone know how far apart the wedge needs to be at one end? or is it a put it together and see sort of situation?

What sort of give is in the steering arm, as in if i made it 'there or there abouts' is there play in the steering arm to compensate for this indefinite mistake?
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:01 pm

This is where I got my info from, it says about 40mm

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... ight=wedge

Sorry about the location, but the topic is useful. ;)
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:08 am

Yeah it's 40mm from what I remember!

A suggestion though, don't just weld those plates together square, mock it up on the vehicle and tack them together before fully welding. my wedge was originally made by parrot using those drawings and the tre nut in caught the chassis. Get the box as low as possible, helps when you have some lift and I also pushed the box as far forward as possible to allow more room for moving my front axle forwards ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:06 am

ScottieJ wrote:Yeah it's 40mm from what I remember!

A suggestion though, don't just weld those plates together square, mock it up on the vehicle and tack them together before fully welding. my wedge was originally made by parrot using those drawings and the tre nut in caught the chassis. Get the box as low as possible, helps when you have some lift and I also pushed the box as far forward as possible to allow more room for moving my front axle forwards ;)
cough cough
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:09 am

Dude I can't actually weld at my workshop anymore thanks to the shit power supply. when I have £500+ for a decent enough generator to run my mig I'll be able to get a wedge finished, haven't even been up there for weeks because all the stuff I need to do involves welding :bawling:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:06 pm

have you thought about speaking to the local council scott and maybe try and see if they would fit 3 phase or so at a reasonable price? or is it rented?
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:22 pm

When I fitted mine, I drilled vitara bottom pulley to samurai pattern and changed water pump and alternator pulley"s to vit flat belt. Made up wedge to forum pattern, when fitting pump to block I welded another plate on rear of original pump mount and drilled to pick up approx. 60mm higher up block, radiator was moved 40mm to nearside. I left original hose"s in place. It took weekend to do, but what a difference, crack on get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:55 pm

turbo-tom wrote:have you thought about speaking to the local council scott and maybe try and see if they would fit 3 phase or so at a reasonable price? or is it rented?
I rent the unit, no chance of my landlord getting the power supply upgraded, problem is for a similar size workshop elsewhere I'll be looking at 2x maybe 3x the rent :bawling:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!