SU Carbs

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: SU Carbs

Post by Jordi » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Going back to a certain incident in Wiltshire, I think we all now how amazing the SU carb is.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Yeah you only need half an SU really!

Might try replacing the dashpot with various items and see if I can get it to drive haha

Plant pot anyone?
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Richie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Richie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Richie wrote:Ive got the hif44 and I cant get the thing to run right it keeps bogging down. I found abit off rubber in the jet but didnt make difference for long when I moved it. The other thing is that it uses all the damper oil every 20 miles or so. If I don't use the choke it will do about 35mph but with the choke it will splutter its way up to about 50mph but doesnt run well. I was thinking of buying a carb rebuild kit on ebay for £ 35 but I really dont know what the problem is with it. Are all hif44 carbs the same? As I dont want to get the wrong kit. Its a 1.6 8v engine with a yellow spring but havent checked needle. Thx guys
Just a quick update.
Fault still not fixed
The damper oil isn't being used that was my mistake so no real piston damage etc
The needle is a BFM
The spring is yellow
Replaced the massive K and N air filter for a nice foam ram air one

Ive completely striped and cleaned the carb and again haven't found a single thing wrong with it.
The only thing I can think of is when you fit one of these hif 44's to a vitara 1.6 8v engine do you need to change the main jet size?
That's the only thing that I haven't checked yet

Problems are still the same- when ticking over its fine and revs up fine also. 1st and 2nd gear it pulls and revs well then in 3rd 4th and 5th it starts to die.

Only thing I can possibly think of is the needle is to small and it uses the fuel quicker than it can pull it in?

please guys shine some light on this for me, the thing does my head in. Been off the road for about 10 months now :(

Thx in advance :)

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Can you refresh us on what's been repalced in the ignition system? Checked filters? Timing? Vac advance? Carb been tuned? Damper oil weight? Current weather? Colour of your underpants?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Richie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Richie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Ignition switch was faulty so has been replaced with a push button start (and massive cut off switch to shut the electrics down)

manual fuel pump replaced and mounted to rear with 2 incline clear filters in fuel line (which are both full of petrol)

Ignition timing check at put to 8

vac advance pipe checked and not blocked (located on other side to air filter housing)

bought carb (and rockwatt manifold) from a guy on here and he told me it ran fine on his sj and said it has the right internals for a 1.6 8v engine setup

damper oil weight 10/40 semi (im sure its not perfect but from what ive read it will do the job)

weather - raining

underpants - none :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:22 pm

My 1.6 has no torque at 8* btdc so i run it at 10*btdc, runs loads better, think most people run the 1.6 around 10*

I've also never had good results running engine oil for the damper oil. Straight sae 20w is what you want engine oil is too thick.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Richie wrote:Ignition switch was faulty so has been replaced with a push button start (and massive cut off switch to shut the electrics down)

manual fuel pump replaced and mounted to rear with 2 incline clear filters in fuel line (which are both full of petrol)

vac advance pipe checked and not blocked (located on other side to air filter housing)

bought carb (and rockwatt manifold) from a guy on here and he told me it ran fine on his sj and said it has the right internals for a 1.6 8v engine setup

damper oil weight 10/40 semi (im sure its not perfect but from what ive read it will do the job)

weather - raining

Have you tried a purple thong?

Seriously though I just have engine oil in my SU and it is spot on.

Are you getting enough air to it.

I have a sort of mini snorke that raises my air intake up to the highest point in the engine bay. Even though its quite well sized I still notice a drop in top end when its connected.

Wrote all that then remembered you said you had a panel filter on it.

Do you have the rocker cover connected to the carb breather. I seem to get better top end than trotter and he has a panel filter and I have the standard air box with the breather to there.

Perhaps if you have a lot of gas in the crank case it could cause issues as it is post fueling. Of course I could be chatting crap.

Richie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Richie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:31 pm

ScottieJ wrote:My 1.6 has no torque at 8* btdc so i run it at 10*btdc, runs loads better, think most people run the 1.6 around 10*

I've also never had good results running engine oil for the damper oil. Straight sae 20w is what you want engine oil is too thick.
at first when it was running like this it was at 11 btdc so I set it to 8 btdc and didn't make a bit of a diff.

its like after pulling away for the first 5-10 secs it has then used all the fuel in the carb and feels like its cutting out and cant supply more fuel fast enough, even tho the filters are still full of fuel. Thats what was making me think the main jet might of needed to be upgraded and didn't know if it should be a set size?

Richie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Richie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:37 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:
Richie wrote:Ignition switch was faulty so has been replaced with a push button start (and massive cut off switch to shut the electrics down)

weather - raining

Have you tried a purple thong?

Seriously though I just have engine oil in my SU and it is spot on.

Are you getting enough air to it.

I have a sort of mini snorke that raises my air intake up to the highest point in the engine bay. Even though its quite well sized I still notice a drop in top end when its connected.

Wrote all that then remembered you said you had a panel filter on it.

Do you have the rocker cover connected to the carb breather. I seem to get better top end than trotter and he has a panel filter and I have the standard air box with the breather to there.

Perhaps if you have a lot of gas in the crank case it could cause issues as it is post fueling. Of course I could be chatting crap.
Ive upgraded the seats in the sj hopefully buying past its under floor purple thong detection system, but despite this it still bogs down so I know it cant be them panty hoes!

on the top of the rocker cover is a small breather filter. The inlet manifold and the carb breathers are blocked off.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:31 pm

The needle is the only thing that controls the size of that aperture as far as I'm aware.

Another problem I had that took me ages to figure out was the choke spindle o ring letting fuel by. Might be worth a shot. There is a groove in the spindle to add fuel but when the o ring goes the vaccum of the engine sucked excess fuelby even with the choke off.