removing bolts

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

removing bolts

Post by kiwizook » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 am

a simple question. what is the best/good way to remove small bolts that have their heads snapped off? I just tried using a stud remover, the drill and screw type ones, but it snapped so easily that I'm going to bring the piece of crap back for a refund. any ideas other than drill out and retap a thread?
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: removing bolts

Post by NylonAdmiral » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:50 am

What size are the bolts?

I'm guessing with the heads snapped off there's no threaded section left to get any purchase on?

If there is anything you can get any grip on I'd say get a blowtorch on it then try and get a set of molegrips and turn it back out.

My guess is that you probably can't as you've already tried everything sensible already. If the metal is that soft and crappy I'd probably just drill it out then tap/helicoil the part. Doing jobs like that are a nightmare!
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

suzukisteve
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by suzukisteve » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 am

either that or if you an get a small punch or chisel you may be able to tap in round to undo it if your lucky. I managed to do that with a rocker cover bolt on a polo before :thumbup:
pickle power!

waynesworld
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by waynesworld » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 am

The worst thing ever in this game isnt it, as aid above, heat is the only way at times.

Yes depends on what size the bolt is?

All i can suggest is if you have time, then use a decent penetrant and give a spray every day for as many days as you can.

Then again drill out and use a stud extractor, they can snap though as you have found, if they do then the stud is to tight, not always faulty tool.

Once drilled then you will need some good heat, i have used a blow torch in the past but it can take forever to heat up anything that is solid, so oxy acet gun is whats best..

After all that it can take a while to get one stub moving. and when you do dont try to rush/force it out.

I spent hours removing 2 doors of an SJ as all the bolts were seized in good time and as theye were posi head screws, i had to drill some in the end.

Good luck kida

wolly

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:55 am

Oxy cetolyn (spelling?) or good oil I use diesel works better then wd40 sometimes.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 pm

What is the stud / bolt in?

Is it in the block? Body work? Chassis? Got a photo?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:26 pm

it's a little m6, stuck in the chassis, not enough protruding to use the molegrips. it's one of the bolts for the radiator bracket. drilled it out last night with a 4mm drill, and it went crooked and drilled right through the thread and everything, so the captive nut is not usable anymoe, so I'll cut it off, and weld on a new nut I think
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

waynesworld
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by waynesworld » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Well if thats all it is i would just fit a new bracket, weld a new nut in place as you say.

radioman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by radioman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 pm

turbo-tom wrote:Oxy cetolyn (spelling?) or good oil I use diesel works better then wd40 sometimes.
oxy acetylene is the best but you must be patient.....I have in the past driven a 10mm bolt out with a hammer and small chisel...It isn't easy and you must take care...so heat tap tap tap heat tap tap tap (anticlockwise) etc etc...then it will come out
never had any luck with stud removers they always seem to snap...they make them out of the most brittle material...waste of money if you ask me