Front Suspension problem!

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Front Suspension problem!

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Jordi wrote:Fronts should have a set of longer bolts with them.

Soak the fronts on your SJ with a good amout of WD40 over night as i always shear the bolt when i undo them.
Yeah will do, I tried to replace the drop arm yesterday and snapped 2 bolts :-( , not a happy man at the moment
One life. Live it....With a Suzuki

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:22 pm

As the rear bump stop it a funny shaped box it might be quite hard to drill through it.
image.jpg
image.jpg (957.8 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:24 pm

If these springs are longer and the spring pack bolt is in the centre does this mean the front axle has been moved forward ?????????

Looking at the rear spring pack it doesn't look like it would even compress, let alone reach the bump stops (how many leafs !!) :er:

Pics to show the calami kit along side MGP one.
Attachments
mgp.png
mgp.png (729.87 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Jordi wrote:As the rear bump stop it a funny shaped box it might be quite hard to drill through it.
image.jpg
Hmm it would be a bit awkward wouldn't it, I really need to find someone with a welder really :weld:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Darrell wrote:If these springs are longer and the spring pack bolt is in the centre does this mean the front axle has been moved forward ?????????

Looking at the rear spring pack it doesn't look like it would even compress, let alone reach the bump stops (how many leafs !!) :er:

Think Dans ironmans are 5 leaf.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:28 pm

TomBod08 wrote:
Jordi wrote:As the rear bump stop it a funny shaped box it might be quite hard to drill through it.
image.jpg
Hmm it would be a bit awkward wouldn't it, I really need to find someone with a welder really :weld:
I'm not a million miles away if you get stuck. I think the current agreed rate is a crate a day, the preferred currency of cider of course.

TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Jordi wrote:
Darrell wrote:If these springs are longer and the spring pack bolt is in the centre does this mean the front axle has been moved forward ?????????

Think Dans ironmans are 5 leaf.
Good point I never noticed that, it would of only moved it by about 1/2" thought wouldn't it?

I have taken a leaf out of each spring as well, I went on a mile trip with them all in and had to turn back as it was unbearable :lol:

TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Jordi wrote:
TomBod08 wrote:
image.jpg
I'm not a million miles away if you get stuck. I think the current agreed rate is a crate a day, the preferred currency of cider of course.
Haha true, I'll have a think about it ;)

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:32 pm

If theory the axle has not been moved forward. The springs are only longer to allow a greater curve. If you sat the spring side by side with a standard spring the bush centres should line up. The lift spring will just have a bigger curve.

It does mean under articulation as the spring flattens the axles will move further forward. This can be worked out by halfing the distance of the difference in length between the old spring and new spring.
Last edited by Jordi on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm only in Huddersfield. I can help if you want.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage