Jordis 1988 Samurai (Re)Build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Jordi's 1988 Samurai Build

Post by Jordi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:29 pm

New exhaust is on

http://youtu.be/UsmzyrNcnTc

Its mental loud when your driving it.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 am

nice, sounds like a real truck now :D
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am

Did you go for power flow?
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Well, besides being "off work" and doing a little job that lasted from 11 to half 7 i'm making progress getting bits of the LWB.

Just not sure on this diff. The plan was to swap the LWB diff into my Samurai but.... I have started stripping the back axle on the LWB and the hubs/drums are full of black gunky stuff that has a familiar diff oil aroma. I can't tell if the diff bearings are gone or just the wheel bearings.

I may just fill mine up with oil and run it till i have time to do the seals in it. Or strip the LWB diff out and rebuild that then swap them. Could be some complex work to do soon.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

4x4rick
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4rick » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Jordi wrote: Could be some complex work to do soon.
hurry up and make a start :weld:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 pm

You can't rush a bone idle northerner.

Waiting for my two weeks workshop time / paternity leave in Sept/Oct. The body work is my next priority.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Quite a bit going on at the moment.

Dan is very kindly making my a YJ fiting kit when he gets sorted. The over heaing issue seems to have been dealt with.

And i urgently need a snorkel for some lanes next weekend. I popped through to Tims earlier to collect some wiper arms and an SU inlet, which luckily is the same size as a standard carb inlet. Plan is to use the standard air box remounted to lineup with the SU then cut a hole in the wing and mount my S/S snorkel and join it onto the air box inlet with some flexi hose and lots of silicone!
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 4713 times

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Gasket made, adaptor fitted.
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 4704 times
The original rubber flexi pupe just isn't as flexi or long as i'd hoped / wished. I need to pop to machine mart / wickes and get some bits to join it up. As with all snorkels i'm going with minimum joins if possible. I may just get a sealed air filter / ebay special for it.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Why do they make all off the hoses different size?

One step closer any how. Using a mixture of various sized pipes i have made a pipe from the carb to where my snorkel goes through the wing. Its all jubilee clipped up and has a fair amout of suck. With out submersing it i'm not a 100% sure how to make it sure it's waterproof. I have put my hand over the end of it though and it sucks the rubber hoses flat then stalls. Pretty good indication it's air/water tight.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 4690 times
I don't think it looks too hideous, the aim is functional!

I'm just not sure how i'm gonna fix the actual snorkel to the side of the Zuk. I don't know if i need big p clips, weld/bolt some brackets to the window pillar to u bolt it to?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Due to a space issue under the bonnet and a lack of the correct size pipes to link to the original air box i have decided to risk one of these http://bit.ly/13QBFBS

Hoping it'll be spot on.