wheel spacers,how wide?

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

wheel spacers,how wide?

Post by coupedriver » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Like the title says,how wide can I go on the standard wheel lugs,10mm,20mm and stay safe on the road.thanks :thumbup:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: wheel spacers,how wide?

Post by Jordi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:45 pm

No wider than 30mm. I don't know if there is any legal limit but i was always advised no more than 30mm (some are 32mm).

Its more to prevent damage to studs and bearings.

I'd always recommened billet spacers with seperate pressed in studs not cast spacers with stud extensions. Personal preference, also depends on budget as cast spacers tend to be quite a lot cheaper.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

4x4rick
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by 4x4rick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:49 pm

coupedriver wrote:Like the title says,how wide can I go on the standard wheel lugs,10mm,20mm and stay safe on the road.thanks :thumbup:
how do you mean SAFE

cast ali spacers use there own centering bolts to line up spacer
billet spacers are spot on....

if you mean legal... tyres must not protrude out side the arch BUT you can fit a flare to suit
Attachments
billet spacers....<br />will be listed for sale shortly
billet spacers....
will be listed for sale shortly
essex offroad 081.jpg (528.34 KiB) Viewed 6501 times

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm not sure if there is a legal limit to the spacer size? For safety reasons i.e studs snapping.

No one is seriously gonna run a 75mm spacer but i have seen 40/45mm ones for sale in the past.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Think the original post was actually regarding a small spacer using the original studs.

I dont think there is a 100% answer to that question. It all depends how thick the material of the disc and wheel is for starters.

If you have steel wheels with open nuts on them then going to the point where there is only a couple of threads left showing would be acceptable I guess.

I once heard a rule that a thread should mesh at least its diameter deep to be considered strong enough.

Dont think I would trust my life to a rule of thumb though.

Suzuki probably designed the studs the length they are for a reason.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 pm

be careful because having them too wide can cause accidents

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo[/youtube]
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 pm

on a serious note I found this on another forum...

"Reg 63 MV (Con and Use) Regs 1986 could be invoked as it states (with exceptions non relevant to post):

heavy motor cars, motor cars and motor cycles, not being agricultural motor vehicles or pedestrian-controlled vehicles shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the vehicle.

Max fine: £1000 more if a goods/pass veh involved."
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:40 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:Think the original post was actually regarding a small spacer using the original studs.

I dont think there is a 100% answer to that question. It all depends how thick the material of the disc and wheel is for starters.

If you have steel wheels with open nuts on them then going to the point where there is only a couple of threads left showing would be acceptable I guess.

I once heard a rule that a thread should mesh at least its diameter deep to be considered strong enough.

Dont think I would trust my life to a rule of thumb though.

Suzuki probably designed the studs the length they are for a reason.
This is what I ment,get your point about there probably that long for a reason,I didn't know those other ones existed,how much am I looking for for some,should eBay be avoided,maybe a trip out to that 4x4 shop at matlock

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I have run the grayston casted ones with extension studs for about 5000 miles. They have survived small jumps and big rutted side slope sections without issue.

Think I have gone through 2 sets of wheel bearings in that time.

Any addition of width will assist larger tyres in their constant quest to kill bearings.

Long and short of it is the cast ones are easily strong enough.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 pm

5000 miles would be about 3 yrs driving for us so I could put up with that.