back end feels weird,help pls

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

back end feels weird,help pls

Post by coupedriver » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Our lass has been driving the vitara since Wednesday and she's been saying that the back end is all over the place,so i went for a drive with her Fri and I just put it down to the back axle being live(I think)it does feel abit weird,but she's come in tonight saying we are not lifting it cus it will make it worse.
Is it normal that vit's are abit all over at the back and she's just got to get used to it,or have I got a problem.she won't believe me but she would probably believe somebody who's got one.thanks in advance for any advice.

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: back end feels weird,help pls

Post by rory-ray » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Yes they do feel weird, especially if you've just started driving one after being used to a car. even now when I drive mine it feels odd at first, then I realise haha!

When I got my first one I drove it home and thought it was fu**ked, so I got it on the ramp and checked everything, I even got my father in law to double check and it was fine.

Its just a completely different driving experience to most cars that's all, if your a bit concerned yourself park it up straight and look at the back, see if the rear wheels sit straight, i.e one is not sticking out more than the other, that's a tell tale give away that there's movement In the rear axel.

hope that helps!
1994 Pick Up Converted Vitara

+2" Springs, Pro Comp Front And Rear Shocks, 31" Marshalls On 8j's, Front Winch Bumper, OMP Steering Wheel And Boss, Bucket Seats, Stripped Out, Black Bonnet With Scoop, Few Dents And Scratches, Little Rust!!!

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks mate,shes just going to have a look,but I know its fine,she's just got to get used to driving slower,she's abit of a girl racer after all the mr2's we've had.thanks

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Check the shocks and tyre pressures, tyres should be around 23psi but are often over-inflated. What size are the tyres? wide tyres are quite nasty on these.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Thinking about it and talking to our lass,shocks maybe knackerd as she can bounce it up and down holding on to the rear spoiler,she is strong,but we are putting astra ones on at the beginning of next month,so we will see

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 pm

It depends on the tyres as well, I've had SJs and vitaras with crap back tyres that go sideways under a little bit of throttle at every opportunity.

My fathers SJ was all over the place until we just fitted a different set of tyres.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Yep, my Vit felt a bit squirrely going round corners but that's just the way they are built. New tyres helped a little, but they are mud ones!
If it ticks over...leave it

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:37 pm

My friend had a 16v automatic vit and when i sat in the back in the snow all it wanted to do was spin up and go sideways!
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 pm

It's not sliding,our old rav used to slide something terrible in the wet,crap tyres,it just seems to be squirming about into a corner and out of one,it is probably shocks,in 2wd is it front or rear wd??

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 pm

turbo-tom wrote:My friend had a 16v automatic vit and when i sat in the back in the snow all it wanted to do was spin up and go sideways!
Sounds good to me ;)
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.