About time.

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Goldfish
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

About time.

Post by Goldfish » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi, I thought it was about time I joined as I've been playing with SJ's for a while now.

My current beastie has just undergone a slight rebuild after a trip to Seven Sisters in Wales back in June that resulted in a trashed clutch. As usual got a bit carried away with the rebuild, only intended to change the engine as it was a bit tired but generaly ok and the clutch was wrecked after just 16 miles!

Basically it was a '88 SJ410 that I shuffled the mounts around to take a 1300 after the previous owner filled rad with engine oil by mistake. (Some people should never open a bonnet).

Ended up replacing the engine with the 8v Vitara unit, the clutch with a 4 paddle performance jobbie, the body with a '93 Sammy, the box from the same Sammy, two inch body lift to make changing the clutch easier at events, two coats of skip paint on chassis and complete underside of body - after removing any thing that looked like it may rust in the next couple of years, vitara handbrake cable conversion, 1 3/4 inch SU with heated adaptor, power steering, pick-up'd using a rear door from a Diahatsu Hi-jet, semi rigid mounted transfer box with bolt through tufnol mounts, diagnal mounted rear shocks (if you're on a budget and want off road ability forget more power, move the shocks). Thats on top of the mods that had already been done, ie; the 9500lb Goldfish (had to be!) on a modified TD5 winch bumper at front, rocky mountain springs, Jimny power steering box. 195/15 Insa's, External cage, rock sliders, semi-bucket RS1600 seats (can't stand full buckets in my off-roader, got a fat but!), sj413 axles, front and rear lockers, harnesses, extinguishers etc.

Nearly finished, got a Britpart 8000 to go in the back, useless winch when used on front but should be ok as a rear. Toying with putting 16 Gv rims on for some extra diff clearance with something like 7.50 x 16 Super Mud Pluggas - odd choice of tyre I know, but I just like them. But not sure if I can get away with it without toughened shafts.

Let me know what you think.

Jay
They call me the Goldfish..........I don't remember why!

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: About time.

Post by carnut » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:03 pm

hi jay,,, looks like you"ve been busy,,, sounds like a good write-up,, but we need
pictures,,,
andy,,,

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:30 pm

Goldfish wrote:Basically it was a '88 SJ410 that I shuffled the mounts around to take a 1300 after the previous owner filled rad with engine oil by mistake. (Some people should never open a bonnet).
hahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats possibly the funniest thing i've ever heard! welcome to the forum! i did a similar thing about a year ago, only went to rebuild the head on my 410 then ended up doing a ground up rebuild with a 1.6,33s,virtual lift and dual transfer boxes!! only a couple of days off finishing now!

and like carnut said we need some pics :mrgreen:

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Goldfish
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Goldfish » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Ok, I've got a few picks of before and after, so how do I put them on here?

Jay

Angie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Angie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi Goldfish, welcome and see your also from the isle of wight to, so where do you use your sj?

Goldfish
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Goldfish » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Took it over to Muddy Bottom in the New Forrest on Sunday to try it out - Awesome!
Getting bored with Muddy Bottom now tho as its only a fairly small site, the family that run it are ok and some of the marshalls know their stuff when it comes to extracting rolled/stuck motors, gonna give Slindon or Boxgrove a go soon - only about 40 mins drive heading towards Brighton. Kind of like the look of a winch challenge coming up in November somewhere in Hampshire but I can't remember the name right now. Might go and play with the big boys.

No-where really to play on the Island - got the Sandpit but when the 4x4 club hire it they only open the old Motocross track - kind of like Tesco's car park on a wet day! Not so bad if you hire it between a group of you and do what you want in the pit.

Angie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Angie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:36 pm

:shock: just sand pit!!!!, guess you mean k niton?! I'm a beginer so new to it all,thought there would be somewhere else, can you still get up st george's down? Or is that a no go??

Goldfish
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Goldfish » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Not too sure on the status of St Georges, there was talk of it being open April til October, but to be honest there isn't a Byway on the Island that'll test your Zuk. They can't really be considered as offroading - just a picturescue afternoon drive. But all in all you've got to be brave and venture across the pond for something a little challenging.

I take mine over on my transit then I don't have to be gentle on it as I can still drive home, whats more with a rigid bar I can tow one too! Did come back from Boxgrove last time with mine on the back, Leon on Tow and when Nick concked out in Portsmouth had Him on the front as well until he re-started. We always get home eventually! Costs an extra £20 on ferry but its worth it for peace of mind and a nice dry warm vehicle to drive home in.