steering wobble and wander, how do i fix it?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

steering wobble and wander, how do i fix it?

Post by Jay18 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:51 pm

right.. basically my zuk has alot of steering wobble and wonders left and right as driving down the road, part of this could be the fact i have wide wheels and tires but i need to stop it somehow...

so im going to try and get a pair of bushes for the shackle to chassis mount

i need intructions for a rough country steering damper so i can fit a new damper to it but dont was to spend £80 for a rough country one when i dont do serious offroading, so im looking at using a rangerover damper as theyre only £20, then i will make the brackets myself..

ive tried motor factors but they cant get one for my zuk...

im going to get the tracking done on it as soon as i can drive again after dislocationg my knee im now in a splint and on crutches for 3 weeks :(

once my steering wobble and wondering is fixed i will then be getting a 1.6 8v and all the bits i need to do the conversion from michael as hes given me a deal i just cannot turn down!

i have already had my alloys balanced, one of them is buckled but that have been balanced and best it can and is now on the rear...

front wheels bearings have a small amount of play in them but i want to tighted the kingpins before paying out the money for wheels bearings and fitting them to find its not them causing the wobbling and wondering...

so im guessing edwierd will hopefully have instructions for fitting a roughcountry damper... or anyone at that lol..
Last edited by Jay18 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: rough country steering damper instructions?

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:08 pm

The steering damper will not fix the wobble just help hide it. you need to find the real cause of the wobble rather than just fitting an uprated steering damper.

If the front wheel bearings have play then tighten them up to the correct pre-load, as long as they don't sound rough they do not need replacing but they will fail a lot faster if not adjusted.

Check the steering box is adjusted properly. check the toe-in and check the caster angle.

I have 33x12.5" wide tyres and my SJ doesn't wander
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: rough country steering damper instructions?

Post by Jay18 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:22 pm

just ordered a new steering damper from jimnybits..

£30 is alot better than £80..

i know my steering damper is knackered so ive got one of them as it needs it anyway...

i will check all of that and get it tracked by ats..

also, how do i go about setting the preload on the kingpins? ill be replacing them too...
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: steering wobble and wander, how do i fix it?

Post by Jordi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Now i don't have one solid front caliper mine doesn't wander anymore / try and kill me under heavy braking.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by Jay18 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm

it only pulls to the left when i really brake hard, im talking about just driving along and it wanders off to one side, not a specific side just either way, im thinking it could be the tracking being wrong, but basically im going to sort out everything, like scottie said, the steering box needs tightening, dont want to over tighten it and lock my steering though, so how much should i do it at a time? ive got a steering damper ordered so will see how that does when im off the crutches lol, and will get the tracking done aswel after doing my kingpins and possibly wheel bearings, i just have no idea how to set the preload on them, well to be honest i have no idea how to do the kingpins either lol
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:19 pm

It's got leaf springs :lol: of course it's gonna wander a bit with changes in camber in the road and react funny under heavy breaking :lol: it shouldn't be really bad but its never going to be the same as a 'normal' car ;)

All info for checking steering box and Bearing preloads etc can be found in the stickies

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =15&t=3310

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =12&t=3182

If bearings are within spec, not seized and there is no play there's not much point changing them.

Knuckle seals also play a part in the steering resistance, if the seals are bad, cracked, gone hard etc it can be part of reason you get a wobble.

My advice is to give everything to do with the front axle and steering components a thorough check using procedures in the service manual etc.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 pm

You should be able to feel/see if the kingpins and wheel bearings are knackered by jacking the front of the SJ off the ground and wobbling the wheels top to bottom and side to side.
If there is up-down play between the whole steering knuckle/hub assembly and the axle tube its probably a knackered kingpin
If just the wheel/tyre and the brake disc have play its time for new wheel bearings

Kingpins are quite easy to get to, take of wheel and caliper, and then you can see their square-ish mounts on the top and bottom of the axle. Each held in with 4 bolts.
To get them out you have to move the whole steering knuckle/hub assembly out of the way, so you have to take the 2 semi circles of metal off from the back of it. They are held in with a load of 12mm bolts. Underneath them are felt pads, 2 more semi circles, and an oil seal.
Once you have moved them carefully out of the way, you should be able to pull the whole hub and shaft out of the axle casing. Its a good idea to find something the same height as the axle tube to sit it on, leaving it dangling can damage the oil seals
Then you can access and replace the bearings and their races.
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."