Vitara misfire

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Vitara misfire

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah id service it mate, first thing i do when i by a second hand motor full service plug, leads, caps, rotors, all the fluids etc works wonders :thumbup:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Hotbob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Hotbob » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 pm

I have read another post with the exact same problem as mine. Just waiting on an answer to if he solved the problem or not

Hotbob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Hotbob » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Just to update. I haven't managed to get it compression tested yet but now is leaking water out of the header tank overflow and bubbling up in the header tank :/

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Sounds like a possible headgasket failure to me, compression and of a sniffer yet will confirm. It's quite an easy job though.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Not good! but atleast the aint hard to do! ;)
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Hotbob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Hotbob » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 pm

I'll do a compression test then whip the head off and get it skimmed. Just wondering why it's throwing the water out the rad into the header tank. I was expecting it to use water I.e water going into the bore or water in the oil. I expect it will all become apparent

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:53 pm

if the water gets really hot and very pressurised the spring loaded bit of rad cap will allow it to escape into the header tank and then de-pressurise from there...
it could be a sign that the head gasket has split allowing water into the combustion chamber...
I guess thats what scottie means by washed plugs?

If its split that will probably heat the water up fast and you would get bubbles in your radiator... try taking the cap off and running the engine, if you get a load of bubbles in the rad its not good!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 am

If it hasn't overheated then I would just get the head checked for flatness/warpage and maybe get it pressure tested for cracks. the first bit is not that hard to do using a straight edge and feeler gauges, think the service limit is 0.05mm, usually if there is visible signs on the headgasket that it has been leaking from a waterway into the cylinders ill just check the head for warping and if its within spec just throw it back on with a new headgasket.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Hotbob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Hotbob » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Just to update. Still have a misfire but still not done a compression test yet but I have fitted a new water pump and thermostat and I seem to have cured the over heating problem. For now anyway. On doing the water pump I obviously had to do the cam timing. I put it back how I took it off but I'm not convinced its timed right. Does anybody have a diagram of how it should be times. Thanks

Hotbob
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Hotbob » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Another update. Started overheating again but I'm pretty sure my fan doesn't work as it should as I can stop it with my hand. Fitted a new cap and rotar arm and the misfires still there so it looks like the heads coming off over the weekend