Jay's Caravan under 750kg Build UPDATE 28/07/13

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Jay's Caravan under 750kg Build UPDATE 28/07/13

Post by Jay18 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:56 am

Ive ben looking at options to go camping/caravaning in my zuk, basically buying a caravan under 750kg isnt that easy or cheap, so basically ive got myself a caravan chassis to build my own...

no pics yet as i get back to runcorn tomorrow and should be going and getting my car sunday, so will take some pics while im there...

its just a chassis, with all brakes etc, and a plywood floor, so some chopping will be dont to get it a bit narrower so that i can see round it with towing mirrors on the zuk, the idea is to do an Eriba style caravan with the pop top roof so that i can stand up in it lol, we will be building it not too much taller than my zuk as i dont want a big wall for air to hit when towing, so the pop top roof with be ideal..

i was going to build a teardrop but far too cramped for me...

anyone else ever build a teardrop or caravan of any sort? could use some advice is anyone has done this...

also need a towbar for my zuk and towing electrics...
Last edited by Jay18 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Re: Jay's Caravan under 750kg Build

Post by kiwizook » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:16 am

for the trailer electrics, don't do a half job. get a 7pin female trailer plug, and cut the wires at the back of the zook, and join your cable for the trailer plug into them. don't use crimps of any sort, they're trouble on a car. solder the joints, and use heatshrink to cover the joins. if you can get it, use resinated heatshrink, as this will make it perfectly waterproof if used correctly.

good luck with your caravan build, will be interesting to follow :D
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:41 am

Caravans really aren't my cup of tea but that actually sounds pretty interesting! I'll look forward to seeing how it comes on.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by Jay18 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 am

think i might be fitting a 13 pin plug and socket, instead of using two 7 pins, all my elecrics in my zuk are soldered, dont like using crimp connectors or connector blocks

my dad will be helping me, he has a bailey senator wyoming, very smart caravan, shame the zuk cant tow it legally lol, will keep this updated as we go on with the build..
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:58 am

what do you need 13 pins for? I've ever only seen 7 pins plugs. two indicators, fog lights, reverse light, marker lights, brake lights, and a ground. what else is needed?
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:55 am

All the additional electrics. Fridge, chargers, interior lights, 12v leisure power.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ali
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ali » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:37 am

additional electrics more weight ! :poke:

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:58 pm

I think it will be hard to make something strong and light. Generally DIY stuff is over engineered and heavy.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

windsor
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by windsor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Might be easyer to buy a solid caravan and strip it of everything cos the have woden frames on everything in a caravan and use lighter alloy tubeing for the frames of the seats/bed and cuberds etc and bolsa wood for dorrs if u want the wodden look tht would kock alot of the weight off a caravan
1994 sj 413 sierra
cheker plate door cards
cd players
asin free wheeling hubs
99% rust free
alloys
bukets
some leaks here and there

Izuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Izuki » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:28 pm

sounds interesting are you thinking mini aero style van like this, would be good to see a build thread.

the problem with caravans is the aerodynamics i regularly tow with my sj it is a 1.5td conversion and will easily pull 1.5ton car on an a frame but i once tried to tow a friends horse box and on the local bypass was flat out at 40mph and it didn't take long befor my temp was getting near the red
Attachments
teardrop caravan.jpg
teardrop caravan.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 7956 times
sj413 samurai, pro comp springs, shackles, braided hoses, 10.5x31's bumpers, buckety seats and the best mod in the world a diesel lump (vauxhall 1.5td)