spoa

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
CunnyFunt
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: spoa

Post by CunnyFunt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:55 pm

[quote="scottiej410"]I wouldn't bother with a z link, bump steer will still be pretty bad with it! get a merc sterring arm (part no.s A116 332 16 20 & A116 332 17 20) http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread. ... t=mercedes have a look at this link for info.

Just checked the info on the merc arms good mod... maybe something for the future :lol:

But my friend and i had been busy men this morning and hand made a stainless steal Z link to see if it would improve the horrible bump steer!
And the good news is it has improved. Also looks quite good too! Because we didnt really have much time the ball joint is in a fixed position, but after my greenlaning/camping weekend we will remove it and make up an ajustable removable ball joint on the drag link.
Attachments
Z bar.jpg
Z bar.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
I aint happy unless its MUDDY!!

CunnyFunt
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by CunnyFunt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:01 pm

[quote="scottiej410"]I wouldn't bother with a z link, bump steer will still be pretty bad with it! get a merc sterring arm (part no.s A116 332 16 20 & A116 332 17 20) http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread. ... t=mercedes have a look at this link for info.

Just checked the info on the merc arms good mod... maybe something for the future :lol:

But my friend and i had been busy men this morning and hand made a stainless steal Z link to see if it would improve the horrible bump steer!
And the good news is it has improved. Also looks quite good too! Because we didnt really have much time the ball joint is in a fixed position, but after my greenlaning/camping weekend we will remove it and make up an ajustable removable ball joint on the drag link.
Attachments
z link.jpg
z link.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 9079 times
Z bar.jpg
Z bar.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 9100 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:14 pm

That looks pretty nice! fair play! you'll find that a hi-steer will imrove it even more though!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

CunnyFunt
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by CunnyFunt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Cheers scottiej, i have inquired at merc in those part numbers you gave me for the arms. £49.00 each! :roll:

What model merc are they off of? i might see if i can get some second hand ones...

TOM*0327
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TOM*0327 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:23 pm

HI THERE EVERYONE,
I HAVE READ ALL OF THE POSTS, I AMVERY INTERED IN THIS TYPE OF LIFT! BUT I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO WELD MYSELF! SO I'M JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SOMEONE IN THE MERSEYSIDE AREA THAT WOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT? OR IF THEM BOLT ON SADDLES ARE STILL GOING I'D BE INTERESTED IN BUYING A SET OF THEM! BUT IF SOMEONE CAN RIG A SET OF BOLT ON ONES UP FOR ME HOW BIG WOULD WE BE TALKING? IV'VE FOUND A SET OF WELD ON SADDLES THAT RAISE IT 6" BUT IF POSSIBLE I WOULDN'T MIND MORE 10" BUT 6" WOULD DO ME LIKE!
LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE CAN DO THIS! ANY REPLY/INFO IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
BEST REGARDS,

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Tom,

A couple of things. Spoa gives you 6" lift. You have to understand that this is a big lift for any truck. It will be made worse for you because you have a 410. The 410 axles are much narrower and make the car even more unstable. There are lots of hidden details with Spoa. Its not just a case of weld the perches and jobs done.

You have to think about:

Brake lines
Prop spacers
Uj angles
Shocks
Bump stops
Bam bar for rear
Steering (merc high steer is the best Z bars or any other crud is pretty much lethal)

As a rule of thumb for any inch up you want to try and get a inch extra on the wheel base.
Im not a fan of Spoa, i dont like the set up, but others do. Why do you think you need SPOA? You axles will still be just a low on the floor, and raising it that high will give a high COG and will be more likely to roll over.

If you want to fit big tires i would have a good look at Scotts build. However thats a lost of work and welding to get what he has now.

There are spring lifts on the market that are good but they do some at a cost. I run a 4-5" lift and can get my 31" rubber under it no problems.

However if you are set on Spoa, i would strongly reccomend getting some sammy axles and haveing the perches welded on them. These are wider and will give you more stability. With wheel spacers, offset rims you will be far better off that standard.

Hope this has pointed out some points to you?

Henry

TOM*0327
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TOM*0327 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 am

HI THERE MATE,
THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO BOTH OF MY QUERIES! IT'S APPRECIATED AS I'VE SAID! I KNEW ABOUT THE EXTENDED BRAKE LINES LIKE I WAS LOOKING TO GETTING NICE BRAIDED ONES AND I GOT TOLD ABOUT THE Z DRAG BAR BUT AFTER READING THIS THREAD I'LL LOOK INTO THE MERC! CAN IT BE OFF A MERC SPRINTER? I'VE GOT A LWB JUST SITTING!
AND TO BE HONEST MATE I AM JUST LOOKING TO BE AS HIGH AS I CAN FOR AS LESS SHILLINGS AS I CAN REALLY! I'VE BEEN CLOCKING 31" TYRES LIKE BUT AT THE MOMENT I JUST WANT A CHEAPISH HIGH LIFT! THEN WHEN MONEY PICKS UP I'LL LOOK AT UPGRADING! BUT I WILL DEFFO LOOK INTO SOME SAMMY AXLES! THANKS FOR THE TIPS!
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:20 pm

TOM*0327 wrote:HI THERE MATE,
THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO BOTH OF MY QUERIES! IT'S APPRECIATED AS I'VE SAID! I KNEW ABOUT THE EXTENDED BRAKE LINES LIKE I WAS LOOKING TO GETTING NICE BRAIDED ONES AND I GOT TOLD ABOUT THE Z DRAG BAR BUT AFTER READING THIS THREAD I'LL LOOK INTO THE MERC! CAN IT BE OFF A MERC SPRINTER? I'VE GOT A LWB JUST SITTING!
AND TO BE HONEST MATE I AM JUST LOOKING TO BE AS HIGH AS I CAN FOR AS LESS SHILLINGS AS I CAN REALLY! I'VE BEEN CLOCKING 31" TYRES LIKE BUT AT THE MOMENT I JUST WANT A CHEAPISH HIGH LIFT! THEN WHEN MONEY PICKS UP I'LL LOOK AT UPGRADING! BUT I WILL DEFFO LOOK INTO SOME SAMMY AXLES! THANKS FOR THE TIPS!
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!
A big lift isnt everything, stability and reliability is key to 4x4. Sure hight helps, but it can also be your worst enemy!

Sprinter is what you need, im not sure if the lwb or swb differ???
If i was in your shoes i would lift it as much as you need to get the rubber you want under it.

Henry

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:23 pm

If you're aiming for 31" tyres all you really need is 2" lift and a 1" body lift, cheapest way to do that is probably bedford rascal springs on the rear and rear springs up front, or you could get some iron man 2" lift springs i paid £200 for mine and with a few small mods with a hammer just about squeezed on some 31s. you will need longer shocks and brakelines though.

I'm also not really a fan of SPOA. this is mine before i ripped it apart to fit 33s on it :mrgreen:

with 33s! no extra lift but a lot of cutting and welding, i've still got to weld up the front but it will be done very soon!

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 pm

31s go on easy enough as scott said.

2-3" spring lift and 2" body lift.