Setup recommendations?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Setup recommendations?

Post by NylonAdmiral » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:34 am

I'm nearly done on rebuilding my Samurai axles and have been thinking about my suspension set up.

Whilst everything's in bits it made me think about what else I can get done at the same time.

Here is a photo of my front springs with out the axle attached showing my current setup. As you can see, the shackle reversal (circled in red) is a weld in job rather than bolt on so without chopping stuff up again it's kind of permanent.

Bearing that in mind, what are your favourite suggested suspension setups?

I've seen a few posts about rear springs up front and other options? I'm running SPOA already so don't really want any more lift, I couldn't even do with losing a little bit.

Also, are there any advantages in different shackles?

I'm pretty sure I had a discussion with someone before about the length of the shackles on the vehicle but can't seem to find the post now. It might have been in real life rather than on the forum though! Anyway can anyone remind me what the length of standard from and rear shackles are?

Any input welcome! Oh and I know the bump stops need extending... :weld:
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Setup recommendations?

Post by NylonAdmiral » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 am

Oops... here's the pic
Attachments
Front Susp.jpg
Front Susp.jpg (191.34 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

littlesammy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by littlesammy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:03 pm

what about d flex shackles ! ive got them on mine and have spoa too. i am 6ft 1 and i have to climb into it.!!
87 Samurai with added spice !

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

As I understand it, the D-flex shackles basically allow for greater suspension travel?

I think I'm probably at about the limit of what I can take anyway at the moment. When I jack the vehicle right up so the axle is hanging on he springs there's only about a rizlas gap in the UJs. I think if the axle could go any lower I'd probably start having problems!

I'm about 6ft4 and also have to step up into the truck! :)

littlesammy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by littlesammy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 pm

NylonAdmiral wrote:Thanks for the suggestion.

As I understand it, the D-flex shackles basically allow for greater suspension travel?

I think I'm probably at about the limit of what I can take anyway at the moment. When I jack the vehicle right up so the axle is hanging on he springs there's only about a rizlas gap in the UJs. I think if the axle could go any lower I'd probably start having problems!

I'm about 6ft4 and also have to step up into the truck! :)

well i might be screwed then cos from what i can see my shocks look like standard ones.!
87 Samurai with added spice !

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:36 pm

As you have shackle reversal I wouldnt recommend using rear-up-front or any springs longer than standard, that's because it will push your axle rearward to the bulk head (causing your wheels to catch) also it you may have to shorten your prop to fit