Jordis 1988 Samurai (Re)Build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Jordi's 1988 Samurai Build

Post by Jordi » Sat May 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Got the whole week Anton. Trying to keep the momentum up.

Got that to do also having some recovery points drilled. They will be to weld on and got my tyres to fit to my wheels, not sure if i should go get them balanced though.

Probably fit them and see how it drives.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Sat May 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Jordi it's worth a go at getting them balanced, my 31" were terrible until I got that done.
If it ticks over...leave it

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun May 26, 2013 12:34 am

Based on the weights needed to balance some of these tyres I wouldnt want to drive on the road without it.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun May 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Its a runner. Exhaust wont fit now though. Engine mounts are all shagged. Gear box mount is fucked.

But its a runner. Sounds pretty loud when you run it without any exhaust.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun May 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Ta Dah! Dab hand at these mechanics!

http://youtu.be/Xhrs8wqEtm8

Cheers for the help Scottie / Dan v.much appreciated.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun May 26, 2013 7:04 pm

As you can tell it's been a productive day. Had a bit of help and advice from Scottie, Dan and my Dad along the way.

Not sure i've got my driver side mount drilled in the correct place, could be cos' its a Vit mount as the SJ one fell apart.

Took a bit off messing with the dizzy to get it running but not too much messing in general. New plugs and dizzy cap. Fuel pump and away she went. I well chuffed!

Adjusted the passenger side rad mount to clear the PAS pump
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 4626 times
My little engine crane
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 4626 times

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun May 26, 2013 10:12 pm

1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon May 27, 2013 10:19 am

And it continues. I'm a bit late crawling out of bed today. Still got lots to do, the Jimny pipes for the power steering don't wanna go where i want them so it'll be a case of bend, cut, adjust. The copper pipes are all pre-formed but i still have some vitara pipes somi may be able to mix and match to get them to go the right direction.

The plumbing is gonna be a bit of a challenge, i'm gonna start by fitting all the engine to manifold and engine to car pipes. A visit to the shop is required again. All the jubilee clips are knackered and just kept snapping when i removed them.

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 am

Dude, I know your pain - every time I do a job on my SJ, some new little thing reveals itself. Try replacing a bulb - find out the bulbs are all rusted into their sockets. Clean them up, and they're warped - so a new bulb won't stay seated.

Bolts all siezed up. Screws rusted away. clips snapped off. You gotta bear in mind it's not a neverending thing though - eventually you'll have renewed and replaced enough that you've got a fundamentally strong, safe truck that'll last.

At least, that thought is what keeps me ploughing ahead instead of scrapping mine and just buying another! At least when I'm done, I'll know every nut and bolt on the thing, and know that everything in the truck is as good as new, or better than new - even if it looks like a bucket! ;)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon May 27, 2013 11:32 am

Yeah thats the thought. Which is why, whilst its all in pieces i must swap the philps head screws inthe door and wings for propper bolts!