Jordis 1988 Samurai (Re)Build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Jordi's 1988 Samurai Build

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Personally I wouldn't bother painting calipers, everytime you bleed the brakes your going to get brake fluid on them :lol:
Especially if you have to bleed through the banjos! :hahaha:
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Soon as Mr Rockwatt gets back to me with my bits i think i may book a week off.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm

So i have most of tomorrow free thanks to a 0615 start and back to the depot. Just so my Zuk doesn't look quite so sad compared to everyone elses i have plans!

Few small errands first then flat the wings and slam panel off and roller it all satin black. Same for a few other bits. Drain diffs and new oil. They might be slightly over due.

Fit the flanges and backing plate to the rock lobster. Give that a quick spray what ever colours is lying about in rattle cans.

Rip out the stereo as its u/s

Check wheel nut torques (bringing torque wrench with me too). I don't think a wash is appropriate, mud hides a multitude of sins.

It won't be as glamourous as some but hopefully i can feel a bit prouder of her. Lol.

Then leave the heater on in the garage to dry her off.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm

The painting may have been a bit ambitious.

So far diff oils are changed. CB is fitted. Blew the fuse though so i need to go get one.

Sorted out tools and bits n pieces to take.

Now to sort actual camping shit out, then possibly whip over some rusty bits with the grinder and tidy up. I should pull the KJA out the way but can't be arsed.

May just grind it and paint it outside if the rain holds off and put it back inside to dry.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Might have to actually connect my cb to the battery tonight then.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm not saying mine works but i am brining Scott aerials and shit down.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Well, best intentions and all.

Managed to grind the crud off the sills and give a coat of satin black, same for the wheel arches. How it will look when dry remains to be seen. Wings are still red, front panel is still grey, rest is rusty yellow.

Just waiting for it to cool down to do oil and water.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Well, i did it. Took longer than expected due to the unofficial sponsor. The rocklobster was fitted at Billing. As i posted on some other thread the on road performance is now amazing.

I flogged it down and struggled on the slighest gradient and got 24mpg. Return trip was a lot smoother, the available power was much more useable. No struggling up hills 38mpg out of a 1300.

I filled up at the garage just outside the aquadrome and made it back to Darlington with fuel to spare.

I just need to adjust up the transmission handbrake now as the drums i have don't have holes in them.
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 4664 times

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 pm

All the important bits have arrived. Nothing major to report. The last week in may has been booked off to do all the work. I'm ready to go.

Just for the sake of it. A pic of my new 33s again.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4628 times
Everything should be done in a week and any issue sorted for my little trip in July.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat May 11, 2013 10:05 am

Just been over to Shildon Engineering and they are going to repair my wheel and drill and cut some box section for recovery points and cut some plates for me for various bits and pieces, should be ready for the weekend.