Why is the 410 grill so preferred ??

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Why is the 410 grill so preferred ??

Post by felstmiester » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

When I did my engine conversion ( mine was a 410 ) I had to obviously graft a bigger rad in. The problem I had was I had to get the rad as close to the front panell as poss, so close in fact that the back of the grill flutes are a couple of mm's away from the front of the rad. I have now got a sammy I brought to nick bits off and am really eager to swap the grills over from my 410 one to the sammy.

I know you can swap em over pretty easy but heard the headlights are slightly different so done a search on google. Most of the results was swapping from a sammy grill to a 410!! Why!!?? The 410 one looks so much more dated than the sammy one. I think the sammys front end looks way better just because of the grill. Is there something I don't know??
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Why is the 410 grill so preferred ??

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Im a sammy man. Each to their own I suppose. A lot do like the 410 grill tho and it does look good on some. Cant imagine it on mine tho.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 pm

I prefer the 410 grill myself. Nothing against the Sammy grill but id rather have the metal grill over a bit of plastic any day.

Anyway it's an SJ it's not meant to look modern. ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:32 pm

I prefer the 410 grill myself, to me the 410's looks better, because its made of metal it seems more substantial(? Spelling) also to me the 410 grill looking dated is part of the appeal, these are dated vehicles built on dated concepts, simple, basic, robust. My final point about grills is look at jimny front ends, you can tell they are styled on the 410's grill the sammys has fallen by the wayside

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 pm

ScottieJ wrote:I prefer the 410 grill myself. Nothing against the Sammy grill but id rather have the metal grill over a bit of plastic any day.

Anyway it's an SJ it's not meant to look modern. ;)
Lol true. It's really a mod I need to do to protect the rad. If I'd have put my brain in gear a bit more while doing the conversion I would've done it different but I had to take the mesh off that was behind my grill to enable me to fit the new rad, after I fitted it and bolted everything together it became apparent that a stick, branch, stone, anything could go through the grill slots and fubar my nice new rad. So I then had to make a big nasty metal grill to go in front to protect it. Only thing is I've hated the look of it since the day I fitted it. Hence why I wanna fit a sammy one. Here's a pic of my ugly metal grill I made.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (938.86 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Id must addmit I like both, but prefer the plastic grills over the metal ones. Dont get me wrong metal ones look smart also I think it depends on the color/style of the truck. :D
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm

I've never actually ran the mesh behind the grill in the 7+ years ive owned my SJ and I've only ever split one radiator and that was a big chunk of ice that went in under the grill when wading through icy water :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 pm

I can find plenty of info on the web of swapping a 410 onto a sammy but none for sammy to 410. There's mention about the fact the headlight squares being different and cutting the sammy grill to fill these squares but what about the other way.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm a late samurai grill person.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:03 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (404.86 KiB) Viewed 5618 times
Always wanted a Zuk that looked like that.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank