Choice of lift?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Choice of lift?

Post by andyrew » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:29 pm

As ive got mechanical to be cracking on with in the future. Im wondering weather to use
The new 3 inch calimini springs I have or go rascal rears and ruf with low range off road missing
Link kit.

Pro and cons welcomed.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Choice of lift?

Post by Edweird » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:28 pm

Most people on here will probably recommend a 'virtual' lift before anything else. Just chopping out the wheel arches and bulkhead to make room for 31s or possibly 33s.

Add a leaf and lift springs are another, reasonably popular option, as is RUF+RR

A couple of people have shackle reversal kits but I don't know much about them.

Spring over axle is bad for the springs, steering, camber and stability if I remember rightly.

Extended shackles make your approach angles worse for hills, also bad for steering, springs and camber.

D-Flex shackles are terrible on road and off-road you only get the weight of the axle pressing the tyre down when you're flexing.

Body lifts aren't very popular either. Can't remember why though.

Might be wrong about why some of them are bad but the overall agreement when this question pops up is virtual lift is probably the best way to go.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by Jay18 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:44 pm

after reading alot, when lifting its best to just go and spend thae extra instead of saving money.. cheaper lifts like body lifts and lift shackles just do more harm than good, id say the best lifts to get are either

suzuki sj lift springs

rears up front with raskal rears (remove the flat bar from the rears and fit one of the leafs from the old front srings, rascal rear fit straight on, you may need extended shackles for this lift)

YJ spring conversion, i think this gains you a 2" lift and some crazy amounts of flex, ask scottie about htis, he has the YJ spring setup...

or if your just planing to fit bigger tires then as Ed says, do a virtual lift, scottie has 33's and i think he only has a virtual lift and 2" lift from his YJ's, shows how big a set of tires you can get under a SJ with just a virtual lift...
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Ermm think theres a slight misunderstanding here guys. Im familiar with all the suspension types

My choice at ths moment is to use the three inch calmini springs I have . But ive herd they are
A very hard ride. Or im tempted to go ruf with low range off roads missing link kit and rascal rears.
Lift wise im only looking for around a 2inch lift as im only going to be running 30 inch tyres.
But im after good flex . Which leans me towards the ruf set up.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 pm

If you have already got the calmini springs throw them on and see what they are like, got to be the nest option as they are made for it, then if they are too hard, rascal and ruf the bugger

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Rascal and RUF. I'm running a set of Llama springs and they are brilliant but a bit hard and not as much flex as i'd have liked (getting softer now).

If you go rascals and RUF you get the longer springs too. More flex and not as hard.

If the calminis are 3" lift they are gonna be solid! Ebay them and some poor fool will give you plenty of coin for them.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Yeah I have the Calmini 1.5" lifted springs (with the reverse shackle lift) and damn they are bone jarring! The 3" ones will be back breaking...... but if you already have them, throw them on and see for yourself!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 pm

I think you should go RUF with missing links. You can never have to much flex :lol: .
I get quite abit with the YJ's but i'm now thinking about getting some low range missing links for them, as i want a bit more now.
The only reason i didn't get any in the first place was because they were slating them on the rocky road site. They said they are dangerous to use on the roads, but i'm sure as long as you don't corner like a mad man they should be fine.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm

What about ruf and then pulling a leaf or 2 out of the calmini rears and running those on the back?

I do like my YJs though :mrgreen:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 5528 times
YJs on the back and ruf would be good I think.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:52 pm

ScottieJ wrote:What about ruf and then pulling a leaf or 2 out of the calmini rears and running those on the back?

I do like my YJs though :mrgreen:
image.jpg
YJs on the back and ruf would be good I think.
........I think you have no excuse not to enter this months POTM!