Anyone tried these ??

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Anyone tried these ??

Post by felstmiester » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Helper springs. Saw it on an sj that was on ebay
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (162.52 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

i_am_me
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Anyone tried these ??

Post by i_am_me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm

im doing a bit of testing on a similar thing to that,didnt know it had been done before :lol:

should be going full coil spring hopefully but thought we would try it and see what happens.
back end seems a bit stiff but not to bad and with the spoa it will stop any further damage to the leafs.
If at First You Don’t Succeed Skydiving Is Not for You

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I personally don't see much point to be honest, a decent set of leaf springs is all you need and all these will really do is increase the spring rate making the suspension stiffer.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

i_am_me
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by i_am_me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:29 pm

i should point out that the leafs on my sj are completely gone,they sat on the verge of inverting before the spoa so after it they would have been even worse.
and i had all the springs and cups i used laying around my garage so it hasn't cost anything.

and i will be going coil only soon,this was just to prolong the leaf spring life :lol:

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I've seen them before to be honest but not in coil spring form. I know they put em on camper vans and horse boxes to cope with the extra weight. Then I saw these on an sj on eBay and just wondered if anyone had tried em. I would coil mine as well but not really sure the best way of doing it. I can weld and fabricate the stuff but I wouldn't really know where to start. The leaf springs and uncomfortable ride is the only thing I would change on my sj.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

i_am_me
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by i_am_me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:46 pm

a coil spring conversion will be quite easy if you can fab and weld,and you have the right parts to do it.

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 pm

i_am_me wrote:a coil spring conversion will be quite easy if you can fab and weld,and you have the right parts to do it.
Yeah I've herd you can rob the parts from something else.

i_am_me
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by i_am_me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 pm

i think its possible to use a lot of vitara parts to do it.
but even making it from scratch isnt too difficult