another RUf question

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
duncslow
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

another RUf question

Post by duncslow » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm

after trying a 2 inch shackle lift ive decided that they are a bit of a nuisance as the front shackles tend to dig in on steep banks/lumps. I had read and heard that I would be better in standard form or ruf and ultimately some proper springs. and Im now doing a ruf type set up. Ive got some bedford rears which from what i can understand should fit straight on using the rear shackles and no mods, and have seen a few threads where the front mounts have been moved forwards, Is it possible to just use standard shackles on the front, and also do i need to redrill the back mount on the front springs. Also will I need longer shocks. Sorry about all the questions, i trying to make as few mistakes as poss.
Regards Chris

hamer
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: another RUf question

Post by hamer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 pm

i moved my shackle mount forward around 2'' mate and then drilled the rear mount 3/4'' back and then drilled the centre spring hole back 3/4'' with brought the wheel forward
better bulkhead clearance and also have better aproach angle witch was handy after bringin the
shackle forward so much
i would defnatly use longer shocks as youl have better drop and the rears fit straight on
you might need to grind the shackle stops away mate

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Sj410/413 or samurai?

It's really easy to make a new bolt on front shackle mount if you have a 410/413
image.jpg
image.jpg (243.62 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (214.86 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
If you have a samurai then one good way to do it is to make a missing link set up http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=523
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

kibris
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by kibris » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:15 am

I went with missing links all round when i did my RUF with CJ rears, this brought the front axle forward a couple of inches, I had to move the shock mounts forward as it fouls on articulation. I already had longer shocks as it used to have lift springs.
The rears i drilled the spring pack forward about 1.5" to stop the rear axle fouling the tank.