What other leaf spring fit (or can be made to)

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

What other leaf spring fit (or can be made to)

Post by justaddmud » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:43 pm

On the hunt to be different and save cash in the process i just wondered what other leaf springs might fit the back of my SJ.

I know all about the YJ swap (strangly it looks like new YJ springs are cheaper than lifted SJ ones)

anyway, what about other vehicles, anus CJ? dare I mention it, Land Rover? Pretty sure I saw someone put Hilux springs on the rear.

just be interested to know what people have come across?

Might just get some Jimny hocky sticks and coil it what with the price of springs at the moment

Thanks

Ian

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: What other leaf spring fit (or can be made to)

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Anything can be made to fit really, YJs are about the longest I would ever fit to an SJ though.

Lots of people in the US go with CJ rears and ruf.

Quite a few people over there have fitted yota springs too.

Tim pink used to have land rover parabolic leafs on his racer.

What's the aim? More flex, lift or comfort?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Anything can be made to fit really, YJs are about the longest I would ever fit to an SJ though.

Lots of people in the US go with CJ rears and ruf.

Quite a few people over there have fitted yota springs too.

Tim pink used to have land rover parabolic leafs on his racer.

What's the aim? More flex, lift or comfort?
I'm sure Tim pink did to, I think he had to notch the chassis and weld a new bit in to make them fit though - not an easy conversion!

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:50 am

well idealy i just want the lift and for it to be reliable safe and long lasting, hence not going for Add A Leaf as that to me just looks like it will kill the already dead spring with a bone crunching ride.

I am just shocked at the cost of springs now and remember when you could buy a pro comp spring for £40 a piece now its almost treble that

maybe i need to get a tape measure out under the front/rear of a series and have a measure as when they have prices like this:

Click Here for Ebay Listing

it make me wonder why i have to pay twice that for what is effective the same thing

Am seriously considdering Jimny rear arm coil spring conversion now, could probably design and get all the bracket lazer cut, get someone to weld them on for the same price as a set of rear leafs, be a damm sight more comfortable and flexy too

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 am

Hope the link works.

http://www.ebay.pl/itm/Blattfeder-Suzuk ... 1698wt_922

As and when i bump into one of my Polish associates i'll get the accurate translations. Look fairly cheap though.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 am

1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks Jordi

There is something similar on UK ebay, trouble is they are all heavy duty standard height and although this will provide some lift it isnt enough for what i need

I did also come accross some new Super carry springs however these are dangerously close to brand new proper leaf springs from Dave @ Llama4x4

Might email the first seller and see if they can get the Super carry springs for the same price as the SJ springs, then we would be onto a winner