413 ENGINE MIGHT BE KNACKERED? BURNING OIL

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

413 ENGINE MIGHT BE KNACKERED? BURNING OIL

Post by colinl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi All,
Well as you know the vitara engine self destructed on me a couple of months ago and so it was replaced with a standard 1.3 which ran fine for shall we say....well not long (1 day).I originally thought that it was running very rich as it had the carb from the vitara fitted but i have just been out and dipped the oil and its dry! This engine has burned its full contents in 2 outings on a pay and play so am i right in thinking its knackered or can it be revived cheaply? I recently did a compression test and the readings across all 4 cylinders were around the same and so didnt think anything of it. The engine starts really easy and runs well and shows only a little back pressure from the breather on the top of the rocker cover.The exhaust smokes from start up and carries on smoking all the time and the back of the exhaust is wet with oil. Could this be valve stem seals or do i bite the bullet and get another engine?

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: 413 ENGINE MIGHT BE KNACKERED? BURNING OIL

Post by Edweird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:10 pm

To lose that much oil....I'm not sure how that could happen really. Sounds like there's something up with the sump almost. I doubt you could lose a full load of oil through your piston rings or a crack in the block.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:33 pm

The last 1.6 I had in mine needed oil 3 times a day :shock: :hahaha: The rings had gone and it was going to take to long to get replacements so I just put another lump in
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by colinl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:34 pm

The engine runs well and is as dry as a bone as regards to any leaks so the oil is definately being burned.There is no overheating and no mixture of oil and water and water level has remained at the same level. I dont have any history as to mileage or servicing as it was bought as a donor engine and all i know is that the engine had been stood for quite a while but was assured that it was all good before it was removed.The engine seems to have all its power still and is very quiet and like i say there does not seem to be any noticeable problems.

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:38 pm

I only knew i had a problem as the chap behind me on the trip told me over the cb he couldn't see me for smoke. The engine felt fine was smooth and pulled really well
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by colinl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:41 pm

It sounds as though maybe the rings then so i will have to see about re-ringing it then but it also gives me an excuse to put the vitara head on aswell while its all apart?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Just because there is no oil on the dipstick, doesn't mean there's no oil left between the 2 marks on the dipstick is about a litre of oil so if its off the bottom you might've only used 1.5l? Top it up and see how much it takes.

might as well do the rings if you have the engine apart :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by colinl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Just because there is no oil on the dipstick, doesn't mean there's no oil left between the 2 marks on the dipstick is about a litre of oil so if its off the bottom you might've only used 1.5l? Top it up and see how much it takes.

might as well do the rings if you have the engine apart :thumbup:
I will top it up tomorrow and see how much it has used as like you say it might only take 1.5l to top it up but i still have the problem of it burning oil somehow. Been talking to a few people and they reckon that if the engine has been stood it could be down to valve stem seals going brittle as the engine is still showing good compression so might not be the rings? :er:

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:13 am

I would go for valve stem seals. You can actually change them without splitting the head from the block although I've never tried it that way myself.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

SJ Greg
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SJ Greg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm

im gonna have a 1300 lump up for sale in next few weeks 77k on clock runs well doent use oil £150 ono