streering box is fubar anyone help

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
soldaten22
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: streering box is fubar anyone help

Post by soldaten22 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 pm

no thats good to now .uumm might do but mines more along the lines of wheels move out and in on the own on the straight and you really got to fight to keep it on the road and feels like a delay in turning on corners .i looked on here yesterday and a few other sites that said the same as you and i checked them today pretty much and what i now of old jeeps and still the same i got a freind of mine whos works in a garge to look at it and try it and he thinks the same as me on the box .i checked the force by hand as i dont own or could borrow a spring scale .i have i think it was 2 or 3 inch lift front shackles and wide tyres which cant understand really why the last owner done that i think im only 1/4 inch out on caster which never caused me that much trouble in the passed .do you think there could be something playing me up im thank full for any help i can get on this cheers

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Stock caster is only +3degrees30minutes so running big lift shackles can push you very close to or even into negative caster. They can also allow the axle to move from side to side more while steering giving the steering a very vague feeling like the delay you speak of.

What size tyres do you have fitted? Could you run them with stock shackles? I would be inclined to refit some standard shackles and go from there as well as a new steering box if yours is fully adjusted.

Out of interest could you measure the shackles from bolt to bolt and/or post some pictures.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

soldaten22
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soldaten22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 am

yeah that does make sence i was thinking of changing the shackles back to standerd ones but will have to wait abit for the money to do so so throught on changing the box and going from there. my front tyres are 235/60 r15 .i wouldnt mind changing them to cast normal size ones one day just out of work atm .my streering box is fully adjusted and leaving me 1 or 2 inch play at the wheel .i will find out the size of the shackles bolt to bolt in a bit and post it for you cheers

soldaten22
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soldaten22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

the shackle size is .midlle of the bolt to midle of the other bolt is 6 1/2 inch almost 6 3/4 inch cheers

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:40 am

Standard are only 70mm, at 170mm it will make the handling interesting :D
Attachments
stock_shackles_for_samurai.jpg
stock_shackles_for_samurai.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

soldaten22
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soldaten22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

:D it does well it keeps you on your toes .but that is a big diffrents im guna have to change them thats mental size cheers

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

whoooaaaahhhhhh! no wonder it handles badly! I bet the caster is way out as well!

I'd cut those down asap! 90-100mm is an ok length for lift shackles not 165mm :shock:

Those tyres will fit fine with standard height shackles as they are pretty much stock height.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

soldaten22
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soldaten22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:59 pm

yeah so is that 100mm from midle of bolts or plate .ok cheers for that scottie must be a easy thing to do then

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Well stock are 70 between bolt centres so if you want slightly longer than stock somewhere between 90-100 between bolt centres should be ok and hardly effect the caster angle.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

soldaten22
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by soldaten22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:48 pm

ok cheers but looking at the shackles i got i dont think i could cut them without cutting off one of the serport bars that run from side to side .i think im guna have to try suzuki to se if i can get a set of standerd size ones cheers for that have you any luck with the streering box scottie .as you can tell im a rookie with sj so is there that many problems with them cheers