SJ410 and me!!!

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
TAZ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ410 and me!!!

Post by TAZ » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi my names Luke and I have just bought me self a lovely SJ410, its completely standard except its been sprayed purple with silver flake, its looks great and I only have a few bits and bobs to finish before its ready to drive when i pass my test.

Jobs left to do -

New seats
interior carpet
new steering wheel
and hammerite the chassis

I would like to if possible modify/ swap the engine to get a little more speed out of the thing when cruising on the motorway, im not too worried cruising at 55 but would like a little more speed as i will be using it for offroading and as an everyday car (my first :lol: )

Ive heard that its harder to fit the 1.6 engine in a 410? Am i right??

I have a mate who has a 16v vitara engine and has offered me it for free aslong as i give him a ride :lol:

Can a 1.6 engine fit in 410? and if so would anyone be willing to swap it over at cost and allow me to assist/watch so i can learn about the sj in depth for those awkward times when i break down at the side of the road.

Me and my dad are fiarly mechanically minded but only on reliant's LOL :lol:

I will post a few pictures tomorrow for you all to dribble/throw up over :mrgreen:

Once again hello

Luke (TAZ)

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: SJ410 and me!!!

Post by Tramp » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:26 pm

hey up kidda,
your right, the 1.6 vit engine wont mate up to the 410 gear box, so as well as needing new mountings you will need a 413 gearbox and adaptor plate (if your using the 1.6 8v engine which is the easiest conversion by far) if you use the 16v engine I think you need to use the gearbox that comes with it, but im not entirely sure, probably best waiting until some one in the know comes along,
As for hameriting the chassis, you would proabably be better undersealing the lot, the chassis generally dont rust, wheras the archs are a weak point as are the sills, if they are in good nick paint the underseal on and repeat yearly or as nessercary

Luke

deathbus
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by deathbus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:52 am

hello and welcome to the club mate

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:39 am

Hi.

You say you want more power. The only way to do this is to either fit the 1300 engine or the 1600 8V vit engine.
If you are planning on doing the 1300 engine swap, forget it! Just do the Vit engine as you will be doing the same amount of work for the 1300.

As for the 16V, They are bigger, and only come with Injection. Not ideal for the sj, as you have to take the entire wiring loom out of the 16V vit and put it in the sj. Some have made the 16V run in a sj with bike carbs, but i have little to know knowledge of this.

If i was you, fit the 1600. Dont know what sort of insurance you would be looking for tho :| I got a quote for mine a couple of months ago from adrian flux. All mods declared, 1600 vit engine, fire and theft with me as the only driver £2000 (as first car)

Henry

dominic
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by dominic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:07 pm

:welcome: TAZ

Virtual drinks r on u so i have a :pepsi:

Dom

8-)
Currently Drive
SJ 410 Q 1985 (GREEN)
VITARA GL+ 2017 (SILVER)

Did have a IGNIS SZ5 4X4 2017 (BLACK)
Did have a GRAND VITARA 2.0 TD 2002 (GREEN)
Did have a JIMNY JLX 2001 (RED)
Did have a SJ 413V 1987 (SILVER)
Did have a BMW320i 1984 (PETROL BLUE)

TAZ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TAZ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi all, thanks for all the replys much apreciated, went to pick the sj up but it was a rot box, the guy who owned it had clearly gave the anus a blow over to cover up the rust

The sills were shot, arches were shot, rear door was shot, and so was the front wings and rear tub so i didnt get it, it looked a little girly too but did have a lovely sounding engine.

So i am after another SJ preferably a 413 but has to be pre 1990 so i can get classic insurance, i would like one thats modified but not silly as i dont want to draw too much attention to myself whilst driving around london.

I dont mind cosmetic work (interior and paint) but want something solid and reliable with no rusty holes

cheers guys

luke

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 pm

hey up again cock,
you were probably right to walk away from that sj, sj body work is a pain in the arse,
i hate to tell you, you dont qualify for classic car insurance until you reach 23 or possibly 25, by the sounds of it being your first car I`d say you are 17?

Luke

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi there & welcome to the forum, shame the one you looked at was arust bucket! there are lots around like that though!

It is harder to fit a 1.6 in a 1.0 as you need to make new engine mounts and you need a 1300 gearbox,flywheel & clutch, thats if you go for the 8v anyway! the 16v injection needs a lot more electrics and you need to put a 1300 sump and oil pickup on it as it is a taller engine and needs to be mounted lower to clear the bonnet.

where are you from I have a 410 van that needs a little tlc but is generally quite solid body wise!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TAZ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TAZ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Your right i am 17 and im in London

I can get classic insurance from footman james on there classic young driver policy, which means it will cost me 878 quid to insure fully comp which i feel isnt too bad at all considering its 2500 for my mums fiesta!!

Scottie with regards to your 410 van, when you mean TLC what kind of things need doing??

Aslong as its solid and wouldnt take too much to pass an MOT i would be interested, i dont mind the interior being shit as i intend to fit bucket seats and re trim it. I would like to lift it mabye 2 inches and fit the new style vitara alloys on and perhaps a winch bumper and when funds allow a winch as i intend to get as muddy as possible and enjoy it for what its meant for so i will ofcourse get stuck alot :lol:

I plan to respray it aswell, but if the bodywork is mint then I would leave it well alone, i have resprayed a few cars with my dad so hopefully i would get a decent finish

Luke

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:52 pm

basically it needs a tiny bit of tidying up body wise, but it is pretty solid really and i don't think it needs any major welding if any? at the moment it's nato green and the paint has been rollered on, it needs new UJs in the front & back props, a new petrol tank and a transfer box as far as i can remember, however i have got a spare t-box that just has a small amount of play on the output bearing. it's been on my mates farm for quite while but i think that is pretty much it! i'll try and pop over one night this week and take pics if you want!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!