Just fitted sammy axles but!!

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Just fitted sammy axles but!!

Post by felstmiester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm

I've been busy over the past year modding the sj. After fitting the Isuzu td in it (1.5 by the way ) with a Carlton box I had plans to fit a rock lobster ( it's a 410 ) but after completing the conversion I found that it was so low geared it was actually slower top end on the road than when it had the standard 1ltr. Then my transfer box went pop so I spoke to Rockwatt and he explained that he'd heard of people that had done this conversion and with the mixture of the engine, Carlton box and it being a 410 it makes the gearing very low and I would prob be better with a 413 t box. I done exactly that and it made the world of difference and although I only use the sj for off roading I do a lot of laning so do a lot of road work as well so the gearing suited me.

Last weekend my rear diff went bang ( 410 ) and I had a set of sammy axles complete so took the plunge and fitted them. I would say its made it even more suited for the road now as its upped the ratios a bit more still. But I now get a judder when I pull away in first. It literally only lasts for a second but a bit annoying. After that its smooth as silk. Well as smooth as an sj could be.

Coz I've fitted the sammy axles I've now got free wheeling hubs witch I didn't have before. I'm wondering if because the fronts arn't locked at the moment it might be the reason I'm getting this judder?? It was pissing down when I just tried it so didn't fancy locking the hubs n trying it but anyone else heard of this? Also I'm wondering if its gonna be a bit high geared for off road now and wonder if I should go back to a 410 t box to make up for the higher geared sammy diffs??
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Just fitted sammy axles but!!

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 pm

What's the condition of your rear springs like? Are you spua or spoa. I'm wondering if now you've got the higher gears your getting some axle wrap as it'll require more torque to get the vehicle moving.

Get someone to watch the rear diff as you pull away to see if the pinion lifts, or get someone else to drive it and you watch.

other things to check are spring bushes, Tbox mounts, gearbox and engine mounts and check your U lots are tight.

It won't be anything to do with the freewheeling hubs, all they do is stop the front diff, shafts, cvs and prop from spinning while driving and they are set to free.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Sorry Scottie its sua. Rear springs are rascal that are fully prolly bushed and I only fitted the axles yesterday so I know everything is tight. Valid point what your saying though! Ill have to look into that. Drives so much better with the sammy axles and got more steering lock. Man it's got to the stage there's nothing on my sj I haven't changed. Kinda wish I'd waited and got some land cruiser axles and coiled it
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:46 pm

I would hazard a guess that it is some axle wrap you are getting if its only when you pull away.

As for fitting landcruiser axles, yeah they might be stronger but I really see no point unless you want to run 35"+ tyres, with SJ axles the diffs are smaller so you get more ground clearance with smaller tyres. I've been running 33s for a long time now and I've only ever blown up 1 CV joint, also keeps it lighter, with updated internals and 33s Sammy axles will be pretty bomb proof as long as the housings are gusseted.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Well I'm running 31's at the moment but would go to 33's if some tyres or wheels with tyres came up at the right price. Would def have to go back to a 410 t box then tho.

What do you mean when you say as long as the housings are gusseted??

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

If you're rough with sjs, jump them etc then it's quite easy to bend the axles, so if you add trusses, gusset the knuckle balls etc it helps keep them straight (as long as you take your time and don't warp the axle welding it :lol: )

I'd stick to the Sammy axles then if your only going up to 33s, running 33s on cruiser axles would have about the same ground clearance as 30s
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

ahh right yeah got ya!

Ive looked into running 33's but i go out with some mates who have some serious bits of kit defender winch challenge trucks and seriously modded discos that are running 33's upwards and my little zook does everything they do and sometimes doesnt get stuck when they do.

the diesel conversion is the best thing iv'e done so far but yet to see if the ratios are right now. Think we're off to essex off road on the 20th so i'll see then.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:47 pm

:thumbup: yeah these little zuki do that! All my landy mates run 35+" tyres and my sj has got through stuff theirs have failed on, the narrower track helps as you don't quite sit in the ruts properly as well.

I'd possibly try a rocklobster again now, will only slightly drop the high ratio but the 4.16:1 low could be awesome offroad.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:15 am

Yeah I've got a few transfer box's in the spares shed lol. Ill have a sort out what I got n give Richard a ring n see if he'll do me some kind of deal on a rock lobster.

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Scottie. I've searched and searched. Have you got any decent pics of the axle strengthening and also any pics of a set up to cure the axle wrap? If that's my problem that is!?? Haven't had time to check yet.