Mikes Samurai build / use / fixing broken bits after abuse

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Mikes Samurai build updated 01/12/2012 :)

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 am

Have you physically measured it though? Eyeballing the difference in width between two axles that are only 38mm wider on each side will be impossible. I can't see how two identical kits would end up different widths, not trying to be an arse just can't see how it's possible :er:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Fine il measure it !!! But 66mm overall is quite a lot to miss !!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Mikes Samurai build updated 01/12/2012 :)tho

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Alright alright I was just saying :lol: As standard the rear axle is 10mm wider than the front, I just don't think you'd be able to see that small a difference just eyeing it. It's quite good to hear that you can't really see the difference to be honest, I wasn't sure that I was going to like the fact that the rear was wider than the front when fitted and didnt want to have to fit spacers to the front to even it out :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:53 am

Are they wider? I never new that !! That's interesting I just thought both would be the same width as standard, well you learn something new everyday !! :)

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:16 am

Paul's fitted his floating kit and he says it is an inch wider so you must be right Scotty.

I am leaving the spacers on though, wider the better I always think (other than in terms of girls)

I am making the other half door today for the passenger side. My plan is between Christmas and new year to build up some new axles for it. Make them stronger with more trusses ECT. Also going to set up the rear diff angle so that at a better angle. Not happy with the way that is at all. Next year my plan is to some how make the rear having missing links as well? Not sure how il Dow it yet, but I think it's the way to go. The rear has no weight over it so It won't flex, although its getting a rear winch soon which may help, but I want as much flex on the back as I have on the front.

Anyway Slindon next weekend again, hopefully. I can really give it some now it has a fully floating kit in it !! :)

Mike

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Ready for Slindon :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (884.46 KiB) Viewed 5799 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:15 pm

As usual looking good! What are the rear springs that you are running on the rear? I'm sure with a bit of tinkering you could get a bit more flex out of them. You don't run an anti-wrap bar do you? I'd maybe fab one up and try dropping a leaf or two out of the packs to soften them up. You can get good flex out of standard length springs, I know it won't be as much as you would with missing links, however it would still help ;) mine has no weight at all on the back but the YJs still flex really well as they have a very similar spring rate to stock samurai rear springs.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 pm

The problem is if I take a leaf out they will loose lift. It already sits very nose high, so i don't want to drop any leafs. Missing links are ordered so won't be long till she flexing a gooden !!

And Scottie, I am here to eat some humble pie it's about 1 inch wider than stock. Tyres where flat the other day (that's my excuse anyway !!!! )

Mike :)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Fair enough with the springs, just thought id offer a suggestion. Mines deffo got 3" difference between the stock front and full float. I measured between the discs with the axles on the floor next to each other. Ill take a pic tomorrow to show you ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Yeh it's probably that much. I haven't measured it.