radiator inside on a tin top

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
adamsj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

radiator inside on a tin top

Post by adamsj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Has anybody ever put a raditor in the rear of an sj tin top.ive been thinking of doing it because ive got a 1.8 turbo diesel fitted nd it runs fairly hot.so thought with it in the rear thats alot more water.is it ok to just use flexy rubber hose nd run it to the back.ive seen pictures ov it done on picks but I dnt no how theve done it

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: radiator inside on a tin top

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:04 pm

must rads i have seen are usaly set up at 45 degree angle , also because your making the hose a longer distance from a to b i would be tempted to put in a inline pump maybe ?

if i was to put rad in a back of a tin top i would get atleast to fans to blast through it too cool down , failing that i would take out one of the windows and put some small gauge mesh in its place to get a bit more air flow in the back might be a bit wet and draughty though :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

adamsj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by adamsj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Im not sure wot to do.theres not much room under the bonnet so bigger radiator isnt realy an option.all the pipe work is metal under the boonet nd silicone bends.ive thought bout makeing 1 ov the pipe into a box type thing with a pipe out each end so it holds a bit more water.anybody think thats a good idea?

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:14 pm

Personally, I wouldnt put the radiator inside... if you are driving around and the cap or pipes fail you're going to end up with a truck full of boiling water and steam!

Also it will get very hot in there on sunny day!!!

You should be able to get a vitara rad in there and not take up much more space (depth-wise anyway)
I ran a 1.6 8v engine on the standard SJ rad... same with the 16v but I havent really got to drive it much yet.
What fan are you using?
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:33 am

I'm going to sound a colossal nerd here but they once trialled a Bus as a road and rail passenger vehicle, but found that it overheated going backwards because the radiator was on the front. You're talking about having the radiator inside? So that you get no wind blowing through it whatsoever?
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

adamsj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by adamsj » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 am

Il get a vit rad nd see if it will fit.nd a sigle electric fan.its not the fan I dont think,its the amount ov water it holds.it shud have about a litre more water in the system and its tite in the engine bay.im guna drill a few holes in the bonnet to get air flowing a bit better