Fuel filters

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
clubbysj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Fuel filters

Post by clubbysj » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Further on from my Hello post, i'm after some fuel filters.
Looking around on ebay ( i know i could probably get them from elsewhere ), there seems to be a few ranging from between £2.00 - £7.00 each . I just wondered if there is a specific make that's best or are they all pretty much the same thing ?

You can tell i'm a suzuki novice can't you :lol:

Daz

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Fuel filters

Post by Tramp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:12 am

if i was you i would take your old one out, take it to motor factor and get one the same sort of size, and that way it will physically fit in the same clips that hold the old ones, also you will probably need some new little jubilee clips (x2) im pretty sure the diameter of the pipe connections are 6mm but its best to take your old one off to make sure,

Luke

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:25 pm

when changing mine i just took them with me an sized them up cost me 1.29 each
but it dont matter wot they as long as you can make them fit.
my mates one is just there held in place by the pipes, make it easy to check you just
pull it down, lol
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

clubbysj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clubbysj » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:51 pm

I have 2 filters. Both have fuel sitting in them, and the one under the bonnet's filter appears to be a bit darker than normal, so going to change them both and see what happens.

Daz

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:37 am

As has been said, take them off and take them into the motor factors and ask them to give you direct replacements and they will only cost a couple of pounds each at the most.

I wuld be tempted to replace the rubber fuel hoses whilst your at it and get proper petrol hose clips too. The reason I say this is that the rubber hoses stay in shape and go hard as they get old. When you start to pull them about and off of the old filters, they might not seal properly on the new filter due to being hard and a little brittle.

Then in a week or so you'll smell petrol and trace it back to that and wished you'd done it all at the same time.

Taking the two sizes of fuel pipe into the motor factors, obviously letting the fuel evaporate first before dumping them on their counter, will allow them to match them up and you should have it all sorted for way under £20.00, probably less then a tenner.

You'll know it's all afe and won't need touching for some time after that too.

Also, the rubber pipes break down and the rubber blocks the filters.

Hope this helps.

Kirkynut