Coil Conversion Issue

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
dcallaghan2011
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Coil Conversion Issue

Post by dcallaghan2011 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi, currently I am swapping the rear axle on my sj for a vit axle with the coil springs, however I cant get one the springs (drivers side) to sit flat against the bump stop mount like it does on the passengers side, pics are below, it seems that the drivers side of the axle is further forward than the passengers side but it doesn't really look like it is :er: I say it seems like it is further forward as I have to bend/lean the drivers side spring further back than the passengers side spring, then I noticed the spring seats on the axle are the opposite way round to each other and this could be the problem as it seems to lean one spring one way and one the other, anyone got any ideas on what I could do? Also I found a fair bit of info on this site: http://www.zookpower.ca/forums/showthre ... for-CHEEP!

Cheers,

Dan
Passengers Side
Passengers Side
IMG_0109.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 6367 times
Drivers Side
Drivers Side
IMG_0111.JPG (987.38 KiB) Viewed 6367 times

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Coil Conversion Issue

Post by twiss » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Hmmm dunno, are both the suspension arms straight?
Or just the same...
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

dcallaghan2011
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dcallaghan2011 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Don't think the arms are bent , the axle might not be currently dead in the middle but I don't think it would make that much of a difference, if I can't get it on could I extend the bump stop mount so the spring sits flat or would this cause problems if both sides aren't perfectly lined up with each other?

dcallaghan2011
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dcallaghan2011 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Think I might have worked it out, hopefully anyway, if the diff isnt jacked up to the right angle this would mean the spring seats are also not at the right angle meaning the spring will lean the wrong way? That seems like it would work to me? :S

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 pm

personally If you are doing it like this I would strengthen the existing spring hangers. also I would make some proper upper spring mounts for the springs to sit in that are straight up from the mounts on the vit axle so that the springs dont bend inwards.

when it comes to suspension it really needs to be done right, and perfectly set up so everything runs square and so that the axle is perfectly in line. if it fails it could have deadly consequences.

also dont forget to set the pinion angle up to match the tcase output angle at ride height otherwise you'll get some bad vibes and kill UJs faster, they need to ideally be within 1to2 degrees of each other!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dcallaghan2011
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dcallaghan2011 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:14 pm

I was considering making new upper spring mounts but I have seen quiet a lot of info threads where the bump stop mount is used so thought it must be ok or surely people wouldn't keep doing it like that?

Also I did plan on reinforcing the original spring hangers once everything was in place, what would be the best way to make sure the transfer box output angle and the pinion angle are the same?

Cheers for the advice,

Dan :thumbup:

Edit - Done a bit of research on the pinion angle topic, to get the angle right do I need to make sure the bolt in the centre of the transfer box output flange and the pinion bolt are parallel with each other? :er: