Hybrid Conversion SJ

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Hybrid Conversion SJ

Post by twiss » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Well here goes, I'm planning an electric motor conversion for a Suzuki SJ.
I'm expecting mixed reviews for this idea, and I already know scottie isn't too keen!!!

My inspiration for this project is mostly Top Gear ;)
The episode with their electric car (Geoff/Eagle-i Thrust Hammerhead) actually hit the mark!
I've been thinking about doing something similar on a pushbike... using a strimmer engine and an alternator to generate either 12 or 24 volts, then an electric motor to drive the bike.
I always wanted a vehicle that I could ride/drive around, and not have to pay tax, and only use a tiny amount of fuel! I will be using an electric motor for the drive, and have it powered by a generator.

I'm not sure how many batteries I will want. 12x 12v batteries are needed to get the maximum 144v, but I could (and probably will try to) run the motor straight off the generator.

The next step is to put it in an SJ :)

I've been looking around and it doesn't seem that difficult really!

Things I don't need

Engine
Radiator
Rad Fan
Fuel Tank
Alternator
Exhaust
Dizzy + Ignition Coil
Heat shields
Air Intake System
Starter Motor

Things I need to Keep

Gearbox + drivetrain
Clutch
Brakes + Master Cylinder
Battery
Flywheel

Things I need to find

DC Electric Motor
Controller + Potbox
Many batteries
V and A meters
Motor > Gearbox Adapter
Mounts for stuff
144v DC > 12v DC Converter

Either a 240v generator with a step down transformer,
or a 120v generator with a plain AC>DC transformer.

And of course a donor SJ!!!

Now, for the plan!

I'm planning on using a Warp 11" motor. It is about the same weight as the standard engine so the suspension should deal with it just fine.
As for the specs, at 144v it produces 44hp and 130ft/lbs of torque. So less horsepower than a 410 engine, but more torque than a 16v vit engine!
The motor requires a minimum voltage of 73v and constant 190a for it to run.
If I get a 230v genny I will make it output at 144v, if I get a (cheap) 120v generator, I will just run in at that voltage instead!
There is an issue with the max RPM though, because it's an electric motor, its recommended running speed is quite low.... 2,500rpm. The torque delivery band is amazing though.
100% of torque delivered 0rpm. No problems towing stuff then ;)
I will need to compensate by gearing UP the car. I will probably just go a slacky way about it and stick it on 31" tyres, that should make 2500rpm about 50mph I hope, but for the fuel cost benefit, I would be happy with 45mph!

As for the coupling between the engine and box, I have found a company in canada that supposedly do a converter for a suzuki G10 engine! The are pretty pricey, but I dont think it would cost that much to get one made up over here.

I would like to keep the SJ gearbox really, but I may end up using an auto box instead just so I don't need to put the clutch in it! :)

I've stolen this diagram from another website but I think it shows the wiring diagram quite simply, and it doesn't look that difficult really! ;)

Not having the combustion engine in there does cause some problems though. Firstly, I lose water and vacuum. This means I will need to get an electric heater, and an electric vacuum pump so my brakes work!
I have a few ideas for the heater. in the US people seem to take the elements out of regular mains electric heaters, then use the 144v power supply to heat them up! Seems simple enough!

Now, for the batteries I intend to make a box for them that goes under the back floor, where the fuel tank was. I intend to put the generator under the bonnet. As the motor is so small compared to the engine, there is a LOT of room to be used under there!
Who knows, I could even connect the genny into the standard exhaust

Once its done, with the generator running, I'm not expecting it to be fast!
I am expecting it to do at least 150 miles to the gallon though!
Lots of people report that their (lighter) electric cars running generators work out at over 200mpg

This way I can have free tax, cheap running, and not have to worry about running out of electricity :)

And to prove that it is indeed something that can be done:

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Hybrid Conversion SJ

Post by twiss » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Oh also, because the motor basically only has 1 moving part, the only things that ever need servicing are the brushes inside the motor. And its apparently an easy fix! Maintenance free power!
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:54 pm

if you actually build this and it WORKS PROPERLY :tongue: , then i think it might pretty cool , but what happens if the motors n gubbins get wet , take it there all waterproof ? :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Well if you fully drowned it I dont think it would be too happy! lol

They are apparently not too bad with water, as long as you wash them out after.
Can't be any worse in water than Suzuki alternators and starter motors!
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Totally bonkers idea Twiss.

I love it.
If it ticks over...leave it

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:03 pm

nice idea,

i like,

Ian
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Saw this a while ago on yt. Looks like fun to drive.

Click Here for Youtube Video

Theres loads of other vids on this guys channel
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Can i just ask, why you want to keep the gearbox?

Surely a motor that can produce 100% torque from 0 rpm would make gears pointless, hitch the motor straight up to the t-box, no need for a clutch as there is only one gear, and as for reverse, just reverse power to the motor

with the right gearing it could go quite fast, reduce weight, grivetrain loss and could mount the motor where the gearbox was

its an honest question, so please don't shoot me down in flames

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm

I wanted to suggest you run one smaller motor per corner. That way you have all the advantages of a difflock, without needing a difflock, and could loose the weight/inefficiency of the gearbox and t-case (which do suck up a LOT of HP/Torque). I doubt it'd work, though, because I *think* a set of 31" tyres has rougly a quater of a meter rolling circumfrance, which would mean it would need to turn 400 times to go a kilometer - so 400rpm=60kph, meaning a 2500rpm motor would give you a top speed of 235mph. Something tells me it'd need KILLER torque at that ratio.

So I thought, what if you got rid of most of the drivetrain and just had a motor connected directly to the propshafts? A motor with output shafts on both sides, that is?

With the 3.73 ratio of the diffs, you'd have a top speed of 63mph. Weight distribution would be better, and then you'd have the room to run a genny in the engine bay, with batteries in the floor of the bed and between the chassis rails. In theory, you could actually get a very nice weight distribution going with that.

Add freewheeling hubs into the mix and you're as efficient as possible, without loosing the advantages of 4wd. You could even set it up to do a regenerative braking type thing, if you added some high capacity capacitors into the mix.

Throw in some hydride hydrogen storage tanks, making your own hydrogen from water by hydrolysis and you'd have a *triple* fuel hybrid that runs on hydrogen, petrol or electricity...

That last bit might be going a bit far though. ;)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 pm

as for the heater, what about this

Click Here for Ebay Listing

rear side window demister from a 3 series cab, was going to replace my heater with these, instant heat on a cold morning, and room under the dash for 'stuff'