Zuk on 38's

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Zuk on 38's

Post by TanZuk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Some progress. The blending of welds takes a long time. I prefer that look because the parts look like a stamped piece.

Reminder Before Panhard Mount

Panhard Mount welded up and sleeves were added for strength. The welds were smoothed out still have to pop a 3/4 hole for the Heim Joint. There will also be a Bumpstops mount added to the bottom. Bumpstops on order should get them this week.

The parts were also painted with welder’s primer before tacking together..

Here is the HS Extension clearanced for full steering. Still needs to be welded on. Making triple sure that everything is working before this is done.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Here is a very rough idea of what I have in mind. I agree with the Bumpstop pressure with the angle as I need it. I have several triangulated basketry and a stabilizer DOM bar. The bar is another thing in the making it needs to function around the steering arm and not bump into the tire at full lock.

This is probably why I never came across this setup when researching the subject. There is a lot going in 1 place.

I will be adding the brace to the other side as we discussed earlier. It will need to have some Heim joints so I can remove it. I want to put the engine and trans in from the bottom because of the height issue. This bar will be tied in to a much beefier bumpstop mount on the passenger side.

To be honest I have tried to get the spring to go down 3" using my engine hoist and some ratchet straps and I haven't got there yet. Don't know how often they will actually come in contact.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Have some updates with pics

Doing a little flexing to get the proper setting for the DS suspension components. The front shackle is at 46* and the DS leaf is getting close to a flat position. This is where I will set the bumpstop contact point.

The shocks still have 2” of up travel to go. The clearance between the Panhard Mount and the (shock forward movement is 1.5”).

To be honest I was more concerned of the shock hitting the mount at full flex because the shock moves forward and the mount is stationary. Worked out and even have enough room for the head of a ¾ bolt to fit.

Loaded the weight of the motor back in the engine bay also. This brought my steering rod angles in at 3*. Shouldn’t see any bumpsteer with those angles.

The suspension parts have been made for a while now. They are now going through the altering stage for better clearances or better ideas as more of the parts are added and watching the suspension cycle.

I have decided to remove the Heim joint from the PS Panhard Bar. This will be replaced with a sleeve to accept a pair of leaf spring bushings welded to the Panhard Bar.

The reason for the change:

The Panhard Bar has a 5* bend in it and it tends to want to flop back and forth this will eliminate this issue. Really didn’t want to hear that noise when I was driving either. This will also make what movement there is with suspension cycling not as rigid.

This means I will have to modify the PS Panhard Bar Mount for the larger sleeve bushing and offset the front portion for new alignment.

These types of changes add a lot of time probably why it seems like there isn’t much progress made. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration especially when you start cycling the suspension. Better to catch the issues now then be non flexible with your design and have to do it all over again later.

This particular area of the build has taken me 6 month to engineer and make the parts. It's finally time to start burning in parts.

mathewh11
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mathewh11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Awesome bulid!, that's going to be a real head turner.
soo much dedication, Hat's off too you...

Matt...

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Yeah this is a really good thread, but I find it hard to relate, this build is so much more than anything I would be capable of, I love all the custom built parts & its great to see the amount of presicion & care you put into each piece. It's rare to see so much attention to detail, its what makes this build fantastic

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:51 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i feel the same, lol

its nuts,

wicked, keep it coming

Ian
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way

trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by trotter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:07 am

As a toolmaker/machinist I can appreciate the time, thought process and skill that has gone into the design and manufacture of this amazing rig. The care and attention to detail show just how much enjoyment you must get out of overcoming the various problems in building a rig this size. I bet you can't wait for it's first drive to see all the people stop and stare as you drive by :)

Ignore the haters everyone builds their rig for their own purpose and I would imagine any who don't appreciate the time and skill put into this one are just jealous that's it's better than their own.

Keep up the good work!!

Trotter
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Whoaa 7 pages already Terry :salute: thank you very much for taking the time to add the thread to our site.

well if you want a test pilot for the Rod i'll fly over to Florida :brows: :lol:

The zuki on 38s still doesn't look too high next to the stocker, and I just can't believe how clean all the Sammys look over there, guess they don't suffer from rust as much as they do in the UK.
trotter wrote:
Ignore the haters everyone builds their rig for their own purpose and I would imagine any who don't appreciate the time and skill put into this one are just jealous that's it's better than their own.

Trotter
I don't think anyone could've put it better! It's why I've been following the thread on 2 other sites!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:12 pm

mathewh11 wrote:Awesome bulid!, that's going to be a real head turner.
soo much dedication, Hat's off too you...

Matt...

Thanks Mathewh11, I appreciate the kind words and taking the time to post. I'm glad the time you spent here was enjoyable for you.

Please check back have much more info to share.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Tramp wrote:Yeah this is a really good thread, but I find it hard to relate, this build is so much more than anything I would be capable of, I love all the custom built parts & its great to see the amount of presicion & care you put into each piece. It's rare to see so much attention to detail, its what makes this build fantastic

I have tried hard to keep the thread as interesting and detailed as possible for those with limited skills to see how to approach difficult situations in a build.

Actually if you have ever changed any of the suspension on your rig or even helped in the process. Everything I have taken the time to point out in the thread is all basic fundamentals of any suspension, axle, shocks and panhard mod. It is just at a much bigger scale.

Read that you were disappointed that I was not going to make any more inlets. I'm not sure that you calculated how much 260 Hours to make at 100 US dollars an Hour that would be 26,000 US. That is one of the problems the other is I'm just too busy to take on anything other then what I need to finish.

However if you have the cash and I need half up front and the balance before I ship then I may consider one for you.

Thanks for following along.