LJ80 modifications

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
pro4x4@hotmail.com
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

LJ80 modifications

Post by pro4x4@hotmail.com » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks guys for all the info been very helpful.. Can u tell me Ive just found a sj413 in very good original condition, Can I swap the disc brakes/driveshafts into the lj diffs are the splines the same or is it easier to swap the complete diff?? Also any Advice on throwing the 1.3 donk in is greatly appreciated....Still trying to source a set of 15x10 fat boy 5 spokes if anyone knows of any... If anyone knows of any trucks that are for sale with aftermarket gear Id be interested.. (spoa,transfer gears,engines,winches etc)...

Cheers again guys Ill post some pics soon...

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: LJ80

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi there

There is not really much that is a direct bolt on between SJs and LJs, the gearbox, transfer box and axles etc are all different.

You can use SJ springs though and modify certain things to make them fit :mrgreen: So It is possible to fit sj engines, transmission and even axles with some custom fabrication work

413 diffs, shafts and Cvs won't fit the LJ axles

To convert the front axle to discs you need

*sj410 CV joints (Jap ones are better)
*Sj (any model) knuckles
*stub axles
*wheel bearings
*hubs
*disc brake assembly (calipers, mounts etc.)

Basically the whole steering knuckle assembly in the following pic, but you need to fit the sj410 CV joints on to the LJ halfshafts

Sj410 diffs will bolt straight into an LJ axle but they are a higher ratio so better suited to an on road LJ rather than one that will be used as an offroader.

Ratios
410= 4.11:1
LJ 80= 4.56:1

I would personally keep the LJ spring under axle it will be more stable on side slopes and on road.

Here is an LJ50 with rear springs fitted to the front, 2" lift springs on the rear and still spua running 32" tyres
a link to his build thread http://www.auszookers.com/index.php?nam ... ight=fiddy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: LJ80 modifications

Post by juncopartner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:48 pm

SJ 410 diffs will fit but are not a straight swap, you will need to swap the flanges as the bolt spacings are wider apart on the SJ's. Unless you have a pair of the very early SJ diffs (Pre B reg ones I think), they used a similar solid propshaft as the LJ, the later SJ uses a hollow propshaft.

SJ springs are a straight swap, I have done it numerous times, however you will find the front shocks won't be long enough and usually self destruct very quickly. I used to fit a pair of rear ones to the front and that worked OK. Monroe Gas magnums were also OK with the SJ springs, they must have had more travel than the standard ones. Don't know if they are still available though, just getting back into these things.

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: LJ80 modifications

Post by juncopartner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Should have mentioned as well the front and rear diffs are not interchangeble because the halfshafts are different diameters.