Am i Mad??? I want to put a samurai dash into my KJA

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Am i Mad??? I want to put a samurai dash into my KJA

Post by justaddmud » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:20 pm

You may think, why?

I will tell you why, the SJ413 (non samurai dash) is so small, the centre part has no room for anything, my old dash i grafted an 8" touch screen into it, am I mad for wanting to do this, i hear it is not an easy job, and then there is the problem of the dash, do i graft my working correct mileage dash into the sammy dash, or try and get the sammy dash to fit, or is it simple, if i get a jap sammy dash, is the wireing all the same?

answers on, was going to say post card but that is hardly a digital thing to do, so answers on forum please :hands:

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Am i Mad??? I want to put a samurai dash into my KJA

Post by turbo-tom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:24 pm

i was thinking about putting the sammy dash into my 86 sj413 , and when i took the sammy dash out i soon knowed my answer , to be honest its not really worth it with the amount of hassle :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 pm

See, that is what i am worried about, the amount of horror storys involved in taking a dash out, butit just has so much more space for things, at the moment, i have a radio, and 2 airvents that dont seem to do anything, in my last project (code named MK3) i managed to squeeze so much in

I think if one comes up cheap i might have a go, could be a good weekends fun :S

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:58 pm

wow thats pretty smart :rockin: :rockin: , its up to you if you want to do it , i just wouldnt recomend it :lol: , i must admit though i prefer the samurai dash , because you can fit so much more in it if i was to use one i would plate the whole centre console in and put three 52mm guages going across the top then a bucket load of switches and get red of the heater etc :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:17 am

dash wasnt to bad to take out on mine just put a bit of time aside. I took dash loom out with dash got to be the easiest way to do it

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31 pm

I do prefer the look of the older dash but it is quite limited for space for things like that.

Do you have gps and memory map hooked up to the screen? Would be awesome for laning.

The dash isn't to bad to take out, just takes a while, there is a very detailed write up in the DIY section with a pic for every step. It is for a left hooker bit all the screws should be in the same places just on the other side :lol: the dash should just swap over quite easily I think.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:48 pm

justaddmud wrote:See, that is what i am worried about, the amount of horror storys involved in taking a dash out, butit just has so much more space for things, at the moment, i have a radio, and 2 airvents that dont seem to do anything, in my last project (code named MK3) i managed to squeeze so much in

I think if one comes up cheap i might have a go, could be a good weekends fun :S
Looks very tidy mate I just puta bracket on the passengers side on the dash to run my mm
But that's sweet

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Scottie, in the glovebox, is the remains of a failed laptop,de screened, and left so i can access the DVD and memory card reader, still had wireless, and a GPS mouse on the roof with fugawi (a copy of memory map) installed, with entire maps of the ok, and also a sat nav, the sound card output went through a tape adapter to the stereo too (can just see the white wire) so had full mp3 dvd playback, did have a digital tv tuner and 3g at one point,

Chirs, i will have to get a pic of my current dashboard, i have my old HTC TOUCH HD mounted on the center (un used as has no clock) hole on the dash, it has fugawi on for laneing, much neater, i just love tech

next i am thinking about a 7" android based tablet mounted in the dash, should be able to get a gps and a map program to work on it, and they are so cheap now,

I am off to read a write up now, then all i need to do is find a dash :brows: :brows:

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:30 pm

i was thinking of putting my old phone (nokia n900) in a box somewhere with hard wired charger on ign circuit.

Was then going to then use the tv out function to feed video to a monitor in the dash and audio to the aux on the stereo.

Running an app called cloud gps i could just about squeeze OS maps at every zoom level for most of the UK onto its 32gb storage with room for a couple of tunes.

Unfortunately it has developed it has developed a cell issue and as much as I would like to keep it for this purpose Nokia have offered to replace it with a brand new N8. (£250 Ebay!!!)

So it looks like im gunna have to look for something to do with my new phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 5.3" HD screen) but ATM I'm still in the scared of getting it dirty/scratched stage.

Gunna have a serious dash rethink when I've finished the body off.

Ive blanked off the old antenna holes on the windscreen as I only ever use AUX in anyway so was thinking of getting a cheap 4 channel amp to give the speakers a bit more punch and hide it up behind the dash with 3.5mm-RCA cable to plug phone in. That then frees up the stereo space for more switches etc..

Where that monitor is I was planning on putting OIL temp/pressure coolant temp and voltage guages and some switches.

Whats it like removing the airvents? Is there as much space as it looks?

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:35 pm

you know, i really cant remember how much space there was, the screen was about 2" deep and there was space above the vents

i think if you went a bit more into it, you could remove the vents from the to of the heater, could be even more space there, this is what i am going to do with mine, may even put another heater in asmy motor smells (brushes are on their last legs)

I want to put a louder stereo in mine, I have some nice basic but good quality speakers in the a posts, and after reading the pirate KJA build he made some speaker boxes for 6x9's under the rear of the seat, this could work well